Need something strange ID'd... BHB chime in!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

havnmonkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My bro is getting his open water cert and has a history of sinus problems, so I took him out to the BHB for some snorkelling to see if he was still having sinus problems ( sinus pain led to him not being able to do his OW class dive a few weeks ago)...

So, we're finning along from the anchored boats toward the pilings area... Right about the time we get parallel to the the last beach section I see something I've never seen before. In about 10fsw I see this:

approximately 12-14" in diameter, about 5-6" in average thickness
light tan and mottled brown color base with many 2-3" long, 1/4" thick tentacles that carpeted the entire top. Mixed in with these tentacles were about 15-20 longer, flat and leaf shaped tentacles (similar in size and dimension to a Swedish Fish gummy candy). These tentacles were bright green.

The whole thing either appeared to be a very large anemone or an upside down jellyfish stuck against the sand bed. It was undulating like a jellyfish might as it swims, but was firmly planted on the bottom.

I didn't have a camera so no pic:( but I've been in the water my whole life and have seen dozens, if not more than 100, species of jellyfish.

So, any ideas:confused:

Hahahahahahaaa!!! You mean all i had to do was google "upside down jelly fish"??? That's hilarious, I googled pretty much everything but that. I'd like to consider myself well informed about most marine life, but I've never heard of this one! Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom