Need strobe for Oly C750, questions,,,,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NevadaM

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a new recreational UW photographer using an Oly C750z in a PT-018 (I think) housing. Had pretty good luck in Bonaire last January with it, but as you know, didn't get much past a couple of feet. I'd like to get a strobe to help out. I've looked at the Epozue ES150, the Sea Life SL960 and one Bonica has. All sell for about $160, the next step seems to be way up there around $500. Can anybody tell me if these units will work correctly with my camera?

thanks

NevadaM

Hi NevadaM

The Epoque ES150 will work with the 750 as it ignores the pre-flash, but you may be dissapointed with its power, and end up upgrading. I traded mine in for a ys-90 and was much happier. This exact advice was given to me by this board, but i chose to go with the epoque and after using it realised how good this advice was. Could have cut out the "middle man". Saying that though the epoque is useful for close subjects because it is away from the lens, but not powerful enough for much past a couple of feet.

Can't comment on the other two.

Peter

Thanks Peter, but you were supposed to help convince me I only need the cheaper models,,,, (just kidding, I really appreciate your input). I'll check out things for deals on the YS-90. If I can find one that will also ignore the pre-flash is that the main thing to pay attention to for it to work with this camera?

thanks again

Steve

I'll second Peter's advice on not getting the less powerful strobes. Also take a look at the Inon D-180. Page 25 of the Inon manual shows it is compatible with your housing using the #W7 cable kit. It does a good job for me with my Oly C4000Z. It calculates the pre-flash and intensifies the reading to compensate for water density & assumed distance from the lens before firing the strobe. The difference in housing applications is in the fiber optic attachment that hooks to the different housings (cable kit number). Don't forget you have to add the price of the fiber optic kit to the price of the strobe head. The cable kit is shown here.

I believe that E-DS150 has a lot of power for the size it is etc.. here is a review which dispells many comments made by people who generally have not tried the strobe, i have had many people come back to me and say they can't believe they are over exposing each shot becasue they thought it wouldn't have enough power and would dial it up. Of course just my experience and opinion.

For anothers check out this review it clearly spells out the pros and the cons.

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/pages/strobes/epoque150.htm
also
http://www.scubacam.com.sg/pages/Strobe Test.pdf if the link does not work - always possible...just cut and paste it into your address bar, the first is a very comprehensive evaluation of just the Epoque strobe and the other of a group of them. I hope it helps you out.

ASB

Hi Steve

Yes you would definitely need the strobe to be able to ignore the pre-flash else it will fire on the pre-flash and have no power left to fire on the main flash.

Another reason i am glad i upgraded to the ys-90 is that it also accepts sea&sea and nikonos sync cables, so you are not limited to the fibre optic cable. Using a nikonos to sea&sea sync cord and the Infra red TTL Adaptor made by Matthias Heinrich in the hot shoe of the 750 gives me proper TTL, allowing me to keep the flash on the 750 folded down and not used. Very useful.

Peter

All,
Thanks for the replies everyone. This is just what I need, input from users with some experience. All the input helps.

Steve M

Back
Top Bottom