Strobes for PT-EP10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MudMinnow

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,
I am a casual photographer and am mostly in freshwater rivers and lakes. I have used a little Oly point and shoot for several years, but I have an Oly Pen E-pl5 that I want to get it in the water. I am going for the pt ep10 housing and would like to get a strobe or two, but I would like to try to save a bit of money (I am currently a graduate student in biology) and go with a second hand strobe setup. I am a bit confused by all of the terminology related to sync/fiber optic/TTL cords, and what connections the Oly housing is ACTUALLY compatible with (other than the UFL1/2 strobe).
I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for using an older model strobe with the Oly housing (if it is possible)? Or would it be better if I just save up to get something like a S&S YS-01?

Note: I am sticking with my E-PL5 for many years to come.

I have used an Inon D2000 for many years first with a fixed lens camera and then with oly epl2 and now epl7.
Inon's work well with the olympus. The S2000 is very compact.

I know nothing of the YS-01. I'm sure it would be fine, but the Inons are definitely a proven route with the olympus cameras.

I used a YS-01 and YS-02 on my old Oly E-PL2, which is a more primitive version of your camera. Both were fine, and I kept the strobes when I upgraded to my E-M1. If I had it to do over again I would have gone cheap and picked up a second 02 instead of the 01 as I strictly shoot the strobes in manual (the 01 is capable of TTL, and the 02 is not). TTL takes a little more camera battery, and shooting manual isn't too difficult. Both strobes fire off a fiber optic cable that mounts onto the Oly housings. One of the experts can chime in if I'm incorrect, but I think pretty much any strobe that can be triggered fiber optically will work with your camera as it doesn't have a pre-flash. The Olympus strobes have an RC function which is supposed to provide better TTL results, but for the power and price the 01 and 02 strobes are hard to beat.

Hello everyone,
I am a casual photographer and am mostly in freshwater rivers and lakes. I have used a little Oly point and shoot for several years, but I have an Oly Pen E-pl5 that I want to get it in the water. I am going for the pt ep10 housing and would like to get a strobe or two, but I would like to try to save a bit of money (I am currently a graduate student in biology) and go with a second hand strobe setup. I am a bit confused by all of the terminology related to sync/fiber optic/TTL cords, and what connections the Oly housing is ACTUALLY compatible with (other than the UFL1/2 strobe).
I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for using an older model strobe with the Oly housing (if it is possible)? Or would it be better if I just save up to get something like a S&S YS-01?

Note: I am sticking with my E-PL5 for many years to come.

TTL means through the lens evaluation. Meaning the strobe will fire a quick preflash and to calculate the amount of light required to light up the subject. Then fire the actual flash during the shot.

I have used an Inon D2000 for many years first with a fixed lens camera and then with oly epl2 and now epl7.
Inon's work well with the olympus. The S2000 is very compact.

I know nothing of the YS-01. I'm sure it would be fine, but the Inons are definitely a proven route with the olympus cameras.

S&S is the OEM for Olympus Strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom