Need to buy new Tanks, which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBill_FTL:
FX 100 vs X7-100 ?

looking at the tank spec's looks like fx100 is superior to fx100 (sold locally)

does anyone know what TRIPLE coating means? 3 coats of paint (on the fx100)

how about a cheap source for FX100 tanks?

In what way are you saying they are superior? They look almost identical to me. If anything, the X-7 are slightly lighter. Lighter is a good thing. Maybe I missed something. I was looking at the link from Compudude.

* PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG OR MISUNDERSTAND!
looking here:

http://www.techdivinglimited.com/pub/tanks.html

STEEL CYLINDERS*
Manufacturer & Nominal Capacity Service pressure, psi Final capacity, in cu. Ft. (+10%) Outer diameter, in inches Finish Length without valve, in Empty weight, lbs Buoyancy Empty, lbs (w/valve) Buoyancy Full, lbs (w/valve)

X Worthington X7-100 3442 100 7.25 Galv 24 33 -2.5 -10

X Faber FX-100 3442 100 7.24 Triple 25.39 34.3 -0.59 -8.41

(bad paste... sorry)

looks like the FARBER FX-100 WEIGHS 34.3 LBS, AND IS -.59 EMPTY BOYANT (-8.41 FULL)

WHERE THE X7-100 (SUPERIOR)
IS 33 LBS, -2.5 BOYANT EMPTY, AND -10 FULL.

so, the Worthington X7-100 weighs slightly less (1.3lbs), and is WAY more negatively boyant full, and -2.5 empty (which what counts... right?)

so I'd need less weight on the belt w/ the x7-100....

or?????

-plus the x7 100 is galvinized (good for FLorida)

so the X7-100 LOOKS BETTER TO ME.

or am I still missing something?

thanks!

"Swing" (weight from empty to full) should be the same on two same-size tanks. 100cf of air weighs just over 7lbs, no matter who makes the tank.

Weight planning is based on an empty tank, not a full tank (this is so you can keep your safety stop without floating to the surface). The Worthington is -2.5lbs and the Faber is about -.5, which means you have two extra pounds on your back (underwater, so pretty weightless) and therefore two less pounds on your weight belt.

(As an aside, note that the newer Fabers have much better characteristics than the older ones, which were considerably heavier. There would be no contest here if we were discussing the older Faber tanks. Something to keep in mind if you ever consider purchasing used tanks.)

The negative buoyancy underwater is fairly meaningless, because a couple of squirts of air into your BC and you're right as rain, with either tank.

One dry land, the Worthington weighs 33lbs and the Faber weighs 34.3 lbs, so that the Worthington is 1.3lbs lighter when your humping it from the car. Not a huge difference, admittedly, but add that to the two pounds of lead you took off your belt and we're up to 3.3 pounds total gear load weight difference. Not an enormous amout, but you could notice it if you paid attention.

Finally, yes, I like the galvanized finish better than a painted finish for reasons of wear and longevity.

So from where I sit, it looks like all the plusses are in the Worthington column. Not a slam dunk win, but a small accumulation of slightly better numbers that leads me to select the Worthington over the Faber. YMMV.

AGREED!

I want to lie on the bottom when I go lobster diving... so I always over weight.
worthington seems like the better choice..

-OK, new question: what year were OLD vs NEW Farbers made? I'll be buying new tanks... but want to watch for a new old stock...

whats a good source for worthington tanks in FLA? just google it?

I'm in CA, so I can't help you. Compare the price of buying local at your LDS to buying online from a reputable dealer, figuring in shipping, tax, and a possible visual inspection for the first fill of your non-local purchase.

Oh, and I don't know when they switched over. The only info I have is on the chart. Perhaps Faber's website has info, or a contact number to inquire?

Thanks to all that helped me here!!! really a great board.

I'll try to post some photos after season starts.

(any so fla divers here? )

Good company, judging solely by how often I see them linked here. I've almost bought from them once or twice, tho I wouldn't buy tanks online as shipping costs kill the savings.

Pro DIN/K valves are great. Wish my older PST tanks had 'em.

ok, about to pull trigger... very amazing is shipping is free... from this vendor....

& now I'm thinking about an hp 80 also...

I heard the J & K were part numbers from way back when you could buy scuba equipment from the Sears & Robuck catalogs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom