Need to dive... But where

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Our group of dive junkies is looking for someplace to dive for a week in October. Everyone is at least Rescue and about half the group is DM or Instructor. We are hoping to do it for about $1500 or less. Preferably where we don't have to wear our dry suits, like we do here in Michigan (okay 5/7 mm wet since it is August). To us anything above 80 doesn't require a wet suit.

We originally were going to try and swing a deal with the Nekton while they were still in Florida, but they pulled one of the boats for inspections, so that fell through. We then started thinking about the Keys, then Charley came through, I'm not too sure that's a great destination right now.

We were also thinking about the Bahamas, but quite frankly I just got back from there and the reefs looked horrible. Not sure why, it might be over dove (Stuart Cove's running at least 4 boats twice a day), shark feeding is taking the sharks away from there real job of eating the Parrot fish, or something else.

Right now the only thing we have come up with is Anthony's Key. Which isn't all that bad, just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

Bob

Now is not the best time of year to dive the Caribbean or Florida, for reasons that have recently become obvious. Both places are where you will get the most bang from your buck, however. So you are stuck with playing hurricane roulette, if you decide to go to Mexico or Florida this time of year. On your budget, those are about your only choices, however.

Waiting until spring may be your wisest option, to do your dive trip.

How about wreck diving here in NC? The weather in Oct is perfect (assuming on hurricanes) and the water is still warm. The surf fishing is starting to crank up then and makes a good after dive past time.

Bonaire is a good bet in October since it's considered out of the hurricane belt. Most places offer an unlimited shore diving package, so you get quite a bit of bang for your buck.

Good suggestion Natasha, I even know where they can get a good Bonaire guide who works real cheap :) And I.......augmmm he has more vacation to burn

LOL Herman. I heard you've been taking a few groups a year there now. Good for you! Please tell Kath I said Hi.
Also just last night Bob and I were talking about you, and wondered if you knew if the town pier on Bonaire is open for night dives again.

(Sorry for the hijack)

herman:
How about wreck diving here in NC? The weather in Oct is perfect (assuming on hurricanes) and the water is still warm. The surf fishing is starting to crank up then and makes a good after dive past time.

Herman has a good point. NC is a premier dive destination, at least as far as wrecks go, real wrecks, not fake wrecks.

Not expensive to visit either. You could stay at Motel 6.

I got an email from him. The short answer is yes it is BUT only with a DM. There are a bunch of restrictions as well. I had 10 with me this year and had a ball. Deputy Dan and family was with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom