Need to practise making safe ascents & descents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't tried butt valve dumping, will see how that goes.

Another nice thing about the butt dump is that when you have hold of it to dump, you also have your hand right on the air that's about to come out. If you can't feel any air under your hand, either your position is wrong, or there's nothing left to dump(which might mean you need a little more weight).

I think your weighting is the main issue. I had similar problems starting out. I adjusted my weight 2 lbs at a time until I could control buoyancy by breathing alone. I dump all my air at once on descent and never touch it again until I've finished my safety stop and I'm ready to get out of the water.

In full cold gear (7mm farmer john, Al80) 28 lbs is ok in fresh water, probably could go to 26...so to me you seem a little light based on the description of your problem.

3mm jumpsuit in fresh water 10 lbs is good...12 lbs I sink like a rock but it's controllable. 12 lbs in salt water I was in control horizontal at 3 ft, near shore, no waves with 125 lbs left in my AL80...it's all breathing control for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom