Need Xcalak Info.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, We are heading to Xcalak to dive in a few days. Doc I know you are one of the few who have been there. What I want to know is what other things there are to do besides dive in the area. Are the ruins west of Chetumal worth driving too. How long does it take to get to Chetumal from Xcalak. Is there a ferry?
Any other places of interest in the area?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Beth

I've been there several times, but not in the last five years or so. It is a great place to go diving. Chinchorro is incredible, and the diving just offshore is great, too. We went out with Tom Biller, he sold his operation to someone else, so I can't comment on them. When we were there there was nothing to do except dive and fish. Perfect for me.

Hi got4boyz,

As I suspect you know, not a lot to do there. Can do some deep sea fishing, and tour the biosphere preserve you'll essentially be in. I saw two jaguars on my last trip. Great bird watching, but also watch for snakes.

The drive to Chetumal takes about 3 hours. Take your passport & tourist visa as there used to be an immigration station north of Chetumal to stop illegal entry from Belize. They may ask for them. I think the ruins are worth seeing, as is the Mayan museum. Some good shopping in town. On the drive, stop off in Bacalar to see its lovely lagoon & sip a cold one.

They built a new ferry pier in Xcalak about 3 years ago, but I don't believe it's in use. I think the bay is too shallow to allow consistent passage.

Hope this gets you stared.

DocVikingo

Thanks for the info guys. I could dive all day every day, but my husband wants to see the sites. I like seeing the sites too but not as much as he does.

We don't mind doing some driving so we'll do the ruins and go to Chetumal and Bacalar.

A jaguar? Now that would be cool! :)

Any suggestions on a good but not to expensive place to stay? How far is it out to Chinchorro. Is it really worth the long boat ride?

Thanks, Beth

Hi got4boyz,

Both the Tierra Maya http://www.tierramaya.net/ & Costa de Cocos http://www.costadecocos.com/ will serve well. I was poorly treated by the former one time, so I now recommend the latter. I also have a dive buddy who has a house down there for rent.

The boat ride to the Banks from Xcalak is anywhere from an hour & a half to over two hours, depending on the sites. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. I like Coz diving much better. Also, the Banks is very weather-dependent. On a substantial number of days, they are not accessible.

Hope this has been informative.

DocVikingo

OK Doc, now you've got me curious. You don't feel the two hour boat ride is worth it, you like Cozumel better. Do you also like Cozumel better then the close in dives at Xcalak?

It is a long drive if the diving isn't worth it. I guess what I should ask is this: For the long drive to Bacalar, the ruins and to Xcalak is the experience worth it? I know that's a very objective question but I'd like your opinion none-the-less.

We generally run ourselves ragged trying to see and do everything. Maybe a week on Cozumel diving and relaxing would be better! LOL

Thanks again for your opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom