Transfer Anilao to PG - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveUAE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone

I know people here are great at explaining these transfers and I've read some trip reports and had a look at google maps as well and it looks like going via road from Anilao (Buceo) to PG (El Galleon) would require a 2,5 h drive to Batangas Pier and then a ferry? How long time is the ferry ride? And how big are the ferries? (we've so far been on the small boats to Malapascua, the big ferry to Bohol and the small from Dumaguette-Cebu island (Liloan?) - was not a fan of the small ferry to say the least)

We're also being offered the direct water taxi - but price is a whooping 300$

Buceo is quoting 60$ for a taxi to Batangas pier, so I guess the difference is 240$- whatever is the price of the ferry.

Trike is not an option (too much heavy luggage and my husband is tall and do not fit inside.)

What other options are there? Any chance to find a "freelance" boat? Pick one of the 2 (PG or Anilao) and stay put for our 12 nights?

Thanks!

following along since I'll be doing the same soon.

It's about 45 minutes from anilao to Batangas pier. You should be able to get a taxi for much less than $60.
The boat to PG is not much. I haven't done it in a couple of years but you can find the price online. The ferry to downtown PG , Mueller Pier is good size steel boat. No more bancas since the accident a few years back
You should be able to find people to share the taxi . .... It's a popular route.
If you're not a critter diver or photographer you might not like anilao. I wouldn't go back to anilao for free lol.
You could easily do 12 days in PG and it's also about half the price of Anilao too.

@diveUAE

I don't believe they offer banca transfers across to Puerto Gallera anymore... so your only options are public ferries or private water taxis. I would always take the prviate water taxi option (in part because ~200 USD to travel on my schedule is more important than saving a few $).

To the comment above - I *much* prefer Anilao to PG. Anilao is a world class criter location... PG can be a bit of a dump. Many better places to dive in the Philippines, depending on what you want to see.

Did this in September last year. Buceo's car to Batangas wharf took 85 minutes, could not use their boat for first bit due to typhoon, so was car all the way. Then slow ferry took 2.5 hours. Trike to Sabang was about 20 minutes. Ferry was 450 pesos pp (US$8.00). Car was US$60 and trike 350 pesos pp (US$6.20). So for two people, US$37 each.

On the way back we took fast boat from Sabang and it was 2000 pesos each (US$35) and was worth it. Only took 30 minutes. Then car we booked with our dive shop, 4500 pesos (US$80). Worth using the Buceo car as showed us exactly where to book etc. Could be confusing without this help.

@diveUAE

I don't believe they offer banca transfers across to Puerto Gallera anymore... so your only options are public ferries or private water taxis. I would always take the prviate water taxi option (in part because ~200 USD to travel on my schedule is more important than saving a few $).

To the comment above - I *much* prefer Anilao to PG. Anilao is a world class criter location... PG can be a bit of a dump. Many better places to dive in the Philippines, depending on what you want to see.
You couldn't pay me enough to dive Anilao ever again.
Sure there's critters there but they're living on garbage piles underwater , literally submerged garbage.
And you need to descend thru surface garbage to get to bottom garbage.
And you're stuck at your hotel on a hillside for your stay since it's a steep hike to get there , no strolling around and nothing to see topside.
And you pay twice as much for diving there.
You're right tho , there are many better places to dive in Philippines.
Sabang in PG can be a dump but there's many many other places to stay in that area that are nice. Anilao isn't exactly a shining city on a hill either

1. US$60.00 for the transfer from Buceo to Batangas Pier is excessive but it is the easier option.
2. Ferry to Balatero(P600.00) is about 1hr and the boat is big. Check the schedule and make sure arrive at least an hr earlier. 10:00 schedule should give you plenty of time to make two dives on the same day.
3. Unless prearranged by your host in Anilao/PG, the only viable option to travel from Balatero to Sabang is by TRIKE only. It is only P250.00 per each vehicle.
4. No more ferry goes to Mulle for quite a while.
5. I would go to PG first and then Anilao. It is easier to travel from Anilao to the airport in a hurry.

Sure there's critters there but they're living on garbage piles underwater , literally submerged garbage.
And you're stuck at your hotel on a hillside for your stay since it's a steep hike to get there , no strolling around and nothing to see topside.
Sabang in PG can be a dump but there's many many other places to stay in that area that are nice. Anilao isn't exactly a shining city on a hill either
Sounds like you got taken for whatever you paid in Anilao. A black water dive is $55/diver, and regular boat dive is less.

"twice as much..." <- not even close.

Who did you go with (and how little research did you do before going)?

You've clearly never been to Lembeh or Ambon. Which is fine... you clearly aren't interested in the biodiversity, interesting critters, etc. Maybe you're happy diving Cozumel...

Should have added: you're doing 4 dives a day in Anilao, each for an hour+. How much "strolling around" do you really want to do?

Anilao is top 4-5 worldwide for critters - many would rate it #1 or #2 if they are underwater photographers.

Sounds like you got taken for whatever you paid in Anilao. A black water dive is $55/diver, and regular boat dive is less.

"twice as much..." <- not even close.

Who did you go with (and how little research did you do before going)?

You've clearly never been to Lembeh or Ambon. Which is fine... you clearly aren't interested in the biodiversity, interesting critters, etc. Maybe you're happy diving Cozumel...

Should have added: you're doing 4 dives a day in Anilao, each for an hour+. How much "strolling around" do you really want to do?

Anilao is top 4-5 worldwide for critters - many would rate it #1 or #2 if they are underwater photographers.
Love critters. Don't like critters on garbage. Lembeh is pretty filthy too. Guess you're happy with that
My diving resume is just fine and comprehensive
Tina Villa in PG two years ago three dives and a room for $75.
BlueRibbon Anilao three dives and a room $175. You do the math

Wow, you must have dived with the wrong people I think. We had brilliant dives, every one was high quality. Little rubbish under or on water.

What is wrong with being stuck at your hotel? Most dive resorts around the world are isolated from towns, there are only a few locations where the resorts are all in the town. Yes, a lot (all?) resorts at Anilao are on hillsides. Did you not research where you were staying?

So good, we are going back again early in 2025.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom