Need your recommendation--a tiny dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ft.lauderdale diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm definitely set on getting a DPV. In an ideal world I want a liion battery since I need range for all the shore diving I do. My choices are a Sierra 1150 and a minnus 1.5. For argument sake their both right around $6k.. The problem is I don't have that kind of loot to shell out right now.

So.. as a non dpv owner currently I have 2 options:

Wait until I get the funds to get one---probably a minnus 1.5 since it's cheaper, has more thrust, faster, albeit a few lbs heavier

Or

consider getting a refurb sierra with a new nimh battery, which would just hold me over until I could upgrade to the liion through Tobin.

What would you do?

Additionally---how quickly does the nimh battery deteriorate?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
If you take care of your battery, it should easily last 3 years with no noticeable decrease in functionality. Of course, the more you use it, the longer it lasts.....
:D

I've had my Sierra for about four years, and haven't noted any decrease in battery life (NiMH). It doesn't get used a whole lot, though, and I keep it charged.

I'd get the NiMH Sierra and upgrade later. Why put off all the fun, just because it isn't exactly the fun you want to have?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom