Nekton Pilot in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally got time to get a few photos of the Nekton Pilot on the NCDiver web site. I really did enjoy the trip. I tried unsuccessfully to find good photos of the Nekton Pilot before our trip so tried to get shots while there. I did not do as good of a job as I would have liked, but here they are:

ncdiver.com Belize

To answer the questions: I enjoyed the diving. Lots of small fish, large jacks and grouper. Saw several octopuses (?), a number of toad fish (you can hear them easier than find them) and beautiful squid on night dives.

A couple in our group saw a hammnerhead and Larry R. managed to get a photo, not clear but recognizable. I hope to have time to put more UW shots online soon.

Hammer%202007-11-08.jpg

And because we had such a great trip, we are going back next November. Send me an email if you might want to join us.

Finally, from his reply I assumed that reefexplorer is with Nekton. I think that comments from an employee of a company being discussed should identify themselves. Comments are welcome, but if saomeone is partial or an insider they let us know.

Happy Holidays to you all!!

Thanks for posting Perry! Counting the days to our trip. Do you remember which dive site you were at where that Hammerhead was spotted? I'm sure I'll have an enormous amount of photos from this trip. Someone else mentioned games at night, do they have those on board or do you think someone took some on board?

Hi Bumble, if I remember right, the hammerhead was seen off Half Moon Key, can't remember the site name. They have several games aboard along with poker chips and cards. Several played a lot of piinochle. With a night dive every night there didn't seem to be any time to get bored.

Bumble, Nice photos. Planning about the Last Resort in Roatan in April, you have a few photos of the resort but not enough to tell much about how well it is run and how nice. Can you give me a more info? Your recommendation?

Anthony's Key was really nice. Without a doubt I'd stay in the Key Superior rooms on the separate island. The main rooms have a really steep set of stairs that I wouldn't want to have to climb right after a dive. The key is a nice white sandy island with nice tropical landscaping, great pool area and bar which were in really good shape (looked new).

The rooms are wooden bungalows and are either near or over the water, they were always clean and very nice but not luxurious. Most of the walls were wood, ceiling and floors (easier for the maid to clean up the sand you can track in). There was a separate sink area and closet from the toilet and shower. I actually preferred the prefab shower since most tile showers near salt water are usually grimy or corroded. Nice bright yellow bed spread and yellow wall. There are no TV's in the rooms but they have tv's at the main bar.

Best part was that you either have a private covered porch with two hammocks or some rooms have shared porch. They have a map somewhere that shows the configurations. Our room also had a ceiling fan and Air Conditioner that worked really well. The walk to our room was a little farther but we were only two rooms over from the shore dive. They have a nice outdoor BBQ at night with fire dancers, crab race and local dancers on the island. You take a very short ride in a small boat to and from the main resort.

They have all of the following on the property: massage, dive chamber, dolphin program and free horseback riding. They have a large fleet of boats which were in good shape, a couple are a little bigger and nicer. The restaurant and main check in area are mostly open air areas (covered), great food and they had some really good juices and drinks for lunch and dinner. The family that owns the property wants to sell the resort so their older children don't have to take on the business. It's worth something like 50 million so it will be interesting to see who buys it and when. I would definitely go back. Wreck dives were good and the shark dive was well worth it. Lots of small life there, didn't see tons of turtles but saw a lot of baby fish a little bigger than a quarter and other interesting creatures.

The Nekton, I believe, is the only liveaboard that doesn't touch the Blue Hole -- I was there earlier this year. From what I've heard, it's a 'been there done that' sort of a dive, and your time will be much better spent out there at Half-moon or Glovers. You're going to love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom