Nemo Air problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MtnPlayVA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Strange thing happened with my Nemo Air for my first dive yesterday. I set up my gear, turned on the air and checked the pressure using my Nemo because it is faster than waiting for my VT3 to register the pressure. The display on the Nemo looked like it was in dive mode, showing a depth of 90+ feet for 0 minutes. I let it reset and turn off. My mistake was in not checking it once I hit 5 feet but I was having problems with equalizing so I forgot about it until about 7 minutes into the dive. When I checked it then, it was off. It never turned on once hitting 5 feet. I manually put it in dive mode but the pressure registered at 5000+ psi for a few seconds and then settled in matching what my VT3 registered.
I had no problems with it for the second dive. I checked the battery and it reads OK. The o-ring is goobered up some but it isn't leaking air. The LDS hasn't been able to get o-rings for me yet. What would cause it to read funky and then not turn on? I use it mostly as a backup during the dive but I am going to Bonaire in a month and would like to know what caused it before I go down there.

Hi, I am not sure why it was reading an innacurrate depth from the surface, this is unusual. How did you "reset" the computer. If the computer was completely "off", I don't believe it will activate by depth. If the computer is on, but not in dive mode, and you begin a dive, it will automatically go to dive mode as it is pressure activated. It is very difficult to diagnose computer issues over the internet. The only thing I can suggest at this point is to take it to your authorized Mares dealer; they can send it to our service department for a thorough analysis. FYI the orings are available and can be ordered by your LDS.

Hope this helps.

Sincerley,

Thanks Zak - I took it into the shop and they think it was caused by the air pressure of the 2nd tank. I forgot that I had an o-ring problem on the first tank, so purged the air and changed the tank while the computer must have been in dive mode. When I say I reset the computer, I just mean I let it time out and go blank. I do this on every dive and it hasn't caused a problem yet but maybe I am doing something wrong? It worked normally on the second dive I did so we'll see what happens next week when I take it to the pool. I'll ask them about the computer o-rings again. That is something I can change out correct?

Julie

You should be able to change the orings, if not your shop certainly should.

When you said reset, I wasn't sure if you removed batteries etc. Essentially the computer goes into "hibernate" mode if not in use for a period of time. This is to conserve battery life. I don't know what to say about air pressure etc. Sounds like you are going to dive it soon, as a back up. Keep an eye on it and if you experience any future troubles, drop me a note and we'll arrange for our service center to go through it.

Best regards,

Back
Top Bottom