Neoprene Dry Suits? What's good, What's bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found that my Unisuits need less lead than my Farmer John wetsuit, and about the same as my Vikings.
Use the real Rubatex G-231, its ability to withstand repeated compressions is well respected.
You might want to do a little snooping at your local Poseidon dealer. :wink: Those double cuffs are outstanding.
Having the option of adding helmet yokes would also a very good thing.

Oh yah, built in gaiters, as on the old Navy heavy dress, but with velcro or zipper instead of laces, though I bet 1/8" bungee would make for passable laces...

geraldp:
I own a Whites TriLam (Catalyst Quadflex)...
As for warrantees: I got word back from my LDS a couple of days ago that Whites is saying that my leak is due to a de-lamination around the intake valve. Whites apparently only offers 1 year on materials and 2 on workmanship. Since the suit is 18 months old, apparently I'm SOL :-(. They're still negotiating, so hopefully they (either Whites or my LDS) will do something for me.

Jerry
Just a quick update... I got my suit back finally yesterday after 2 months at the manufacturer. One version was that it wasn't fixable, the other was that they thought they might be able to fix it. There were many, many unreturned phone calls from my LDS to Whites. Finally it came back this week with a $335 repair tag. It has all new seals (neck and wrists), new valves, and it was obviously retaped all around the inside. I haven't tried it out yet... I've got to stretch out / trim my new neck seal, remount my dryglove rings, and hopefully get in the water this next week.

On one hand I'm ecstatic to get it back... after all $335 is a heck of a lot cheaper than paying $2000 to replace it (although I paid a lot less than that originally). On the other hand an extra $335 expense right at Christmas time was particularly hard to cough up.

My only input to USIA would be that 1 year warrantees on a $2k item isn't enough.

Jerry

I'm in the market for a Neoprene Dry Suit right now, and can't find one I really want.

Here's what I want in a Neoprene Dry Suit.

A wet suit that stays dry. Seriously. I want the dry suit to fit like a wet suit, and add just enough air to prevent squeeze.

Better chest to waist ratio. Every wetsuit and drysuit that I've seen has too little difference between the waist and chest. Some of us have more than a 6 inch difference, and to get the suits over our chests and shoulders means it is bulky in the waist. Have an athletic fit size.

Fast drying. What ever coating you use on the Neoprene, make sure it sheds water. Maybe even a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) finish can be used. Huge drawback to neoprene is it takes so long to dry.

Check put the Atlan Drysuits. Mine fits like a wetsuit, drys in less than 4 hours and best of all, stays dry. (i do have latex seals though.)

I think it would be cool to come up with a front/self entry, and include suspenders.

Having thigh pockets at least as an option is a must.

BlueDolphin:
I think it would be cool to come up with a front/self entry, and include suspenders.

Having thigh pockets at least as an option is a must.

I have a 7mm Harveys drysuit I bought new in 2001. Front self entry & suspenders.
Sorry no pocket, don't recall it being an option either.
Very warm.

too heavy to fit in my bag, and need more weights to get to the bottom

Back
Top Bottom