Nerds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tbone1004,

Could you elaborate why you would not use Nerd2 on OC? Is it the weight and drag?

If you have the DiveCAN or Fischer versions, they have a long cable sticking out the bottom so they can plug into the rebreather. You would have to tie that off to something or have a dedicated version. It's a bit of a miss for those that dive CCR and OC regularly since some of the computers don't really work well doing double duty. The fischer connected Petrels are fine, but the DiveCAN ones have a cable permanently attached.

With the NERD on a normal OC regulator, if you donate that second stage you loose all access to your information which is bad. I wouldn't have an issue using it on a FFM and Brian Kakuk has successfully helmet mounted his for quite a while, but it's not something I would recommend for mounting directly to a normal second stage

The NERD2 mounts on your 2nd stage hose read the regulator. It resembles a small rifle sight with all of the data in it.

I looked at it while I was at DEMA. Kinda cool looking I guess but it wouldn't be for me. With a rifle scope, you have to position your head/eyes in just the right position to be able to see the X clearly or in this case the info displayed on the screen. With their wrist computer, you can look at it in just about any position and can clearly see the data even if you are looking from a side angle or whatever. It seems with this, you would have to be perfectly positioned to be able to see what you need to see. At least that's what I had to do when I looked at one on display.

I looked at it while I was at DEMA. Kinda cool looking I guess but it wouldn't be for me. With a rifle scope, you have to position your head/eyes in just the right position to be able to see the X clearly or in this case the info displayed on the screen. With their wrist computer, you can look at it in just about any position and can clearly see the data even if you are looking from a side angle or whatever. It seems with this, you would have to be perfectly positioned to be able to see what you need to see. At least that's what I had to do when I looked at one on display.

The Nerd1, at least, wasn't very sensitive to exact positioning. I was actually really pleased with how clear and simple it was to read.

Having said that, I'm not sure there's a clean mounting method for OC divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom