Neuroscience of the Breathhold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I made a brief video about the neurobiology of holding your breath. In brief, two regions in the brain stem, the pre-Bötzinger complex and the retinotrapezoid nucleus are mainly responsible for automatic breathing.

The motor cortex and the cerebellum are the regions responsible for willfully breathing or holding your breath. I speculate (albeit speculation grounded in neuroscience) that a strengthening of the connections from the motor cortex/cerebellum to the pre-Bötzinger complex and the retinotrapezoid nucleus allows seasoned freedivers to hold their breaths for so incredibly long. I don't think that these dots had been connected previously.

If you'd like to have more in-depth thoughts about the topics, plus some footage of freedivers, including a pretty good clip of my friend Emil sucking in his lungs, the video is here:

Could you verify that with imaging or does it require freediver cadavers in order to confirm?

Could you verify that with imaging or does it require freediver cadavers in order to confirm?
I try to stay away from cadavers, hehe. I think it could be tested with imaging, basically correlating motor cortex activity and medulla activity, in naive subjects and trained freedivers. I'm not sure if the effect is strong enough.

It would be interesting to do functional MRI on free divers.

It would be interesting to do functional MRI on free divers.
Absolutely. While underwater might be too tricky to set up, but a breath hold in a scanner is of course possible. Do you have any functional mri groups at Duke who would be interested?

Absolutely. While underwater might be too tricky to set up, but a breath hold in a scanner is of course possible. Do you have any functional mri groups at Duke who would be interested?

Ha, yes, I think an underwater MRI has yet to be conceived of much less invented, so it would have to be a dry breath-hold. I don't know whether anyone here would be interested. Would be a fun study though!

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom