Never too late to go Green

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanniebrew

Reaction score
I heard a rumor Ed Robinson was going green or at least helpful to the Reef. Many moons ago when I dove with that group it was never about the safety of the reef or marine critters. So mahalo and good on ya for what ever reasons.
JB

I can elaborate, but what I experienced was many years ago and I am sure we have all been educated in the past 20 years.
Before moving to Maui, my husband and I vacationed here for many years. He didn't dive so I was on my own to find and go diving with the various groups available at the time.
It seemed like every dive company wanted to attract reef fish so they carried with them some sort of bread or whatever to feed them. This was before it was suggested that the fish shouldn't be fed, not only for their health but that of the reef itself. Having said all of that, the Hawaiian Watercolors, Ed's company liked to go on as exotic dives as possible seeing and attracting sea life. (The crew probably got bored taking tourists on all the usual haunts all of the time). There was one particular dive,and I might mention the last one I dove with them,where we went to a place called Blake's or Barney's Reef or some such place like that. One crew member,whom I had previously dove with numerous times, gave the dive profile to the group. He however wasn't the dive "guide" that day. Low and behold,Ed was, as apparently he hadn't been diving in Hawaii for a time. He led the group. We were briefed that the very agressive moray eel who lives in one coral head would be around. What we were instructed to do was snorkel over the eel's coral head,to alert him, then descend after we passed over to the reef we were going to be diving on. Ed and one other diver were in the lead, then myself and following me were the rest of the divers . I had never gone on this dive so I was following the lead of the dive guide in front of me. We had gone down exactly over the eel's home and he was ready for what he smelled to be brunch. Just 10 feet or so before we got to the "diving" reef I saw that there was a bag of something(turned out to be squid to feed the reef fish),floating up between Ed's legs. Well I love eel's ,but my fingers were tucked underneath the back of my tank because were told there was a very agressive eel living here and I wanted my fingers out of reach. So,seeing this and thinking I wouldn't want a bag of food between my legs with an agressive eel near, I kicked a bit extra hard to tell him to get the bag away from between his legs. At the very same monent the eel smelled the squid and saw my little white fingers tucked tightly under the tank and decided to take a taste. I pulled my hand out to see what hurt so badly. I was confused for a moment until I saw the eel swimming from side to side waiting for the next bite I guess. I stuck the thum of my left hand into the blood stream and was determined to do this dive as it was already paid for. I swam up to Ed to let him know I had been bitten. He saw the eel at my side and took his strobe or light and hit the eel squarley on the snout. This now added insult to injury for me as it was not the eel's fault. I thought I could do the dive but I aborted it because without the use of both of my hands I couldn't stay hovering above the reef and enjoy my dive without banging into it.
That is a very long story ,but not quite finished. When I made my way to the anchor line, the eel finally left me alone. He followed me all the way back. The crew on board took one look at my face and said "he got you didn't he?" Then I was instructed not to say a thing to anyone ie. the other guests on the boat. It was suggested I get stitches ,but that would have prevented me from going in the water for 10 days. Band-aids and a tetnaus shot and I went back to the condo.
On other occassions I have witnessed crew/dive guides grabbing the tails of white tips at Molokini while they were sleeping so they would come out. There were other things I have heard how this company has negatively impacted the reef , but did not witness myself so I won't mention.
That is the explanation for my thread and as I said Kudos to him for having a more sensitive approach to our over stressed Maui Reef and marine life. We all need to be curtious as we share this ocean with it's inhabitants.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I remember the incident described above at "Marty's Reef" and I know the eel she is referring to. We called it "Wild Man" because it acted so crazy. We carried squid back then but never fed this eel because it was too unpredictable and wild.

Our guides don't carry chum anymore and I miss the interaction we used to share with divers and the eels and fish that were tame. I occasionally run across a few of my old friends at Molokini and these eels still enjoy being touched.

With knowledge comes responsibility. But have we evolved or just become more distant and hands off? I believe we are a part of the Ocean and not meant to be apart from the Ocean.

All I can say is that we've been diving with Ed Robinson's for nearly 4 years and have NEVER seen them carry bait or feed fish. Clearly this isn't something that happened recently.

I've been trying to avoid bringing this stuff up recently, but since it was already started -- the last time I dove with ERDA led to a conscious decision to avoid the operation for a similar reason. Harassment of wildlife in the Molokini MLCD -- something not only inappropriate, but illegal.

This was in April 2006.

What is harassment to one person is education to another. Any encounter should direct attention to and about the animal and not to the divemaster. And respect for the animal is always key. We are a part of the Ocean and not apart from the Ocean.

What is harassment to one person is education to another. Any encounter should direct attention to and about the animal and not to the divemaster. And respect for the animal is always key. We are a part of the Ocean and not apart from the Ocean.
Ok... is it not appropriate to say that doing something to an animal that triggers a defensive mechanism is harassment?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom