New 1GX whats it like underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone
Im considering the new canon 1GX with an Ikelite housing as a startup package dose anyone know what the 1GX preforms like underwater I was told the shutter lag would be to much for under water shooting any advice would be greatly appreciated
cheers Rob
[h=1][/h]

Rob, the G1X has a great sensor and we have seen some incredible video come out of it. As you mentioned the main issue people have raised with this camera is the slow autofocus, which as been an issue with most of the "recent" G Canon series. Early reports are the G15 has improved AF. Do you already own the camera? If not you may want to look at the Sony RX100 or even some of the new 4/3 class of cameras. Great deals are to be had on the Panasonic GX1 and Olympus EPL3s, but this is a jump in class.

Heard from my senior photographer, been complaint about G1x, probably related with its slow autofocus compare to its earlier version of g-series (g11 or g12). If you're not in rush, go for G15 (if you like g-series) else you can probably go for higher class camera as suggestion of mjh.

Robert, personally I'm not a big fan of the Canon G1X, there are a lot better options out there for the money like the RX-100. Here my Canon G1x Review. - hope this helps. - Scott

I have used the G1 X whilst diving, (link to the pictures below).....I am a complete novice and found the camera OK, but I am point and shoot, no strobes or anything fancy.....but the pictures came out alright. I was happy with them, bearing in mind the water wasn't crystal clear and I didn't really know what I was doing. Anyone with a trained eye will tell you there are a hundred and one things wrong with them, but I came home with some memories of my dive trip and thats all I wanted really.

http://www.warrenssite.com/Galapagos/Galapagos/17943285_qPTFzs#!i=1924655437&k=zp2fVxS

The focus could be slow and a little frustrating at times, and the macro is a no go....but good quality images for what I wanted. I'm sure if I took the time to learn more abut the camera it would of taken better images....I have now brought a book and learning, so maybe next time around things will be better.

Robert,

Here's a link where I was in Bonaire this August shooting a Canon G1X and DUAL Ikelite DS51 strobes.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/431045-canon-g1x-bonaire-2012-a.html

Yes, AF is not SLR speed and maybe not even Canon G12 speed. But it isn't glacially slow as people jabber on about :)

You just have to USE the camera on the surface and adjust the AF Center point to the smaller rectangle which helps it find and lock on a contrast area faster.

I have held a G15 and it is NOTICEABLY faster than any G model. But it still has a small 1/1.7" sensor compared to the HUGE Canon G1X sensor which has more dynamic range and detail. Not that the G11, G12 and now G15 won't deliver nice photos.

Just if you're planning on making BIG enlargements trying to maintain detail in super low light shooting UW or above the Canon G1X will blow it away.

I used an external SubSee lens for minimal macro shooting and Ikelite makes an external "press on" 67mm adapter that allows you to pop on and off these great macro (and other 67mm) lenses.

Contact me through my site for any pricing if interested.

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

David,

i agree, from the articles i've read the G1x af isn't too much slower then the G12.

But, the macro focus is an issue. Like yourself, i use an add-on 67mm macro lense on my G11 ikelite housing. the specs for the G1x says in aperature priority mode the smallest f-stop is f16. That's never been available in a point-n-shoot camera before and seems would greatly improve the depth of focus using an add-on macro lense. Any experience with shooting at this aperature range?

Robert,

Here's a link where I was in Bonaire this August shooting a Canon G1X and DUAL Ikelite DS51 strobes.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/431045-canon-g1x-bonaire-2012-a.html

Yes, AF is not SLR speed and maybe not even Canon G12 speed. But it isn't glacially slow as people jabber on about :)

You just have to USE the camera on the surface and adjust the AF Center point to the smaller rectangle which helps it find and lock on a contrast area faster.

I have held a G15 and it is NOTICEABLY faster than any G model. But it still has a small 1/1.7" sensor compared to the HUGE Canon G1X sensor which has more dynamic range and detail. Not that the G11, G12 and now G15 won't deliver nice photos.

Just if you're planning on making BIG enlargements trying to maintain detail in super low light shooting UW or above the Canon G1X will blow it away.

I used an external SubSee lens for minimal macro shooting and Ikelite makes an external "press on" 67mm adapter that allows you to pop on and off these great macro (and other 67mm) lenses.

Contact me through my site for any pricing if interested.

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

olyvtx,

f8 on a small sensor Canon G11, G12 and even G15 will still show tremendous DOF (depth of field) due to the smaller 1/1.7" sensor. This applies to ALL small sensor digital cameras and even a mid-range f-stop on these like f4.5 unless telephoto'd in and shooting super close (macro) will have tons of DOF.....

I wish people would understand the difference in this inherently larger DOF on small sensor cameras but many cling to a f-stop is a f-stop. Not true when sensor size is considered.

The MUCH LARGER Canon G1X sensor produces a shallower DOF until you get to maybe f11 -13 just like a SLR would.

For many surface shooters this is what they clamor for being able to have "bokeh" meaning only a selective area in focus. UW shooters tend to want everything in focus especially macro shots.

On the Canon G1X an aperture of f13 - f16 and using an external macro lens like the Subsee +5 or +10 (this DOES magnify quite a bit) gives more DOF.

There's more tricks to using those external lenses which are for my Ikelite equipment customers :)

Hope this explains it!

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom