New A650 IS - what's next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geraldp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey I just took delivery of a new Canon A650 IS. It had been on back order due to a Canon recall, but apparently the defect has been fixed.

Looking on Ikelite's page I see they are releasing this month an A650 housing (6140.65) for $450. I can get the Canon housing (WP-DC18) for $170 + S&H through BHPhoto.

I'm kind of a noob to underwater digital photography. Is the Ikelite really worth $280 more?? Can't I still add aftermarket lenses and external strobes to the Canon housing? If the camera has macro capability & 6X zoom how important is add-on lenses/filters? After reading comments on this board I would guess that a strobe would be the first purchase after the housing?

Thanks,

Jerry

If you only plan to do recreational level diving, the Canon brand housing should be fine. The Ikelite is rated deeper usually. There shouldn't be any problem about getting a strobe. Lenses may be difficult to come by but if the model becomes popular enough for divers, there will be products for it. For the lenses it will come down to the popularity of the camera, where there are already plenty of universal strobe kits.

Back
Top Bottom