New anti-malarial drug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinetree

Reaction score
Hi members

Has any of you informations on the use of the anti-malarial drug MALARONE (atovaquone + proguanil HCl) and diving?

Is it contra-indicated like mefloquine?

Thanks for any help

Joao Pinheiro
Lisbon, Portugal

When it comes to scuba, Malarone has a substantially less worrisome adverse reactions profile than Lariam.

The most common side effects when taken for malaria prevention are headache & abdominal discomfort, although these are quite infrequent. When taken at the much higher dosage amounts for the treatment of malaria, side effects become more prominent and can include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting & headache.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Hi Doc

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
I'm going in a diving trip to the north of Mozambique in November. I'm having a dilemma with the anti-malarial options.
Mefloquine seems to be out of the question.
Malarone is not yet being sold in Portugal (I'll try to get it abroad). I think this would be the best choice.
It seems that I'll have to use doxycicline, 100mg, qd, 1 week before, during and 4 weeks after. I hope I won't get any photosensitivity and I'll have to resist the temptation of drinking cold beer....
And lots of DEET, of course.

Best regards

Joao Pinheiro

Malarone is available in about 40 countries. Also, one may be able to get it through Canada---> http://www.canadapharmacy.com/cart/...il&productid=1627&CFID=221796&CFTOKEN=6825795

Remember that it needs to be started 1 to 2 days before potential exposure, and continued for 7 days after return.

I think doxycycline is a good malaria prophylaxis in regions for which it is recommended, but, yes, photosensivity is an issue of which one needs to be aware. Nausea, vomiting & diarrhea can also occur in some persons.

As for that cold beer, if it was me I would't hesitate to partake of one on sparse occasion during my trip. You, of course, should follow your physician's recommendations in this regard.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

We dive in the South of Mozambique (Ponta do Ouro and Ponta Malongane) at least once a month and use doxycycline.
We have not experienced any problems with this and consuming the odd very cold beer.

Enjoy your trip !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom