New Apeks question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAVMED82:
To be fair to my LDS, they weren't sure if it could be done so they called their aqualung rep and they said it couldn't be done.
Give Joel a call, use the link in my earlier post. I would be extremely surprised if he was unable to help you.

I noticed that you started a thread on the DecoStop and he replied to that thread. From reading your post and his reply I don't think he knows what your larger situation is regarding all of the variables you gave in the first post in this thread.

Mark Vlahos

AS many people have mentioned already, you can convert your DIN reg back to a yoke with the proper tools and experience. I do it on a regular basis for my buddies that use their regs when they head south on their warm water excursions. When they get back they drop them off and I just reverse their systems.

As for the decision to go to DIN, in the technical world that is all we dive. Most of the dive operations that cater to techinical divers will have DIN Valves on their tanks. If they don't then they have made it apparent that they do not cater to Technical divers. Look for another operation. In this day and age where you can get tank valves that can be converted from yokle to DIN, most popular destination in the Caribean have operations that cater to Techinical divers.

As suggested, try the adapter in the water first before making any judgments on the adapter. If not, try to get a hold of a old posiedon 200 bar DIN adapter. Of all the ones that I have seen, they seem the most compact out there.

Good luck,
Jim

Leisurepro lists the adapters so you can remove yoke hardware and replace it with DIN hardware for $50. Part # SQTADA1 and ....2 for ATX200 and TX100. You will need a torque wrench and vise to do it right.

With both your LDS and the AL distributor seeming to get it wrong, maybe they did not understand the question. Otherwise you would be left with they didn't want to be bothered or they don't know as much as those "divers" at LeisurePro. I'd be a little suspicious of your LDS unbtil I understood what happened.

I had a Mk20 DIN that I tried to use with the converter. It restricted my head movement so I went with the adapter.

I personally change mine on a weekly basis, depending on who I'm diving with. It's incredibly simple, and other than cutting an ill-seated o-ring in half once, I have never had any trouble.

NAVMED82:
To be fair to my LDS, they weren't sure if it could be done so they called their aqualung rep and they said it couldn't be done.

As you can tell by everyones response, I think your LDS is trying to pull a fast one on you. I wonder if this shop even actually called Aqualung? It sounds like to me that they are just trying to "push" on you what the have in stock.

I really doubt the Aqualung rep would say that, especially when the Aqualung catalog shows that you can order it either way and has pictures of both.

Even Aqulungs website has it listed.
http://www.aqualung.com/products/xtx200.html (you can click on any XTX and they all say the same thing on DIN/Yoke)
  • Available in either DIN or Yoke configurations
  • Compatible to EAN 40 right out of the box
  • Optional DIN to Yoke converter

If it was me, I'd be finding a new Aqualung/Apeks dealer with more product knowledge. There is no sense in spending this much money on a high quality regulator when the LDS has limited product knowledge on it. I certainly wouldn't want them to service it if they don't know how to simply change it from DIN to yoke and backwards.

Try Dive Sports (http://www.divesports.com or 800-601-DIVE) which is only a few hours away from you. I bought mine there and personally and have watched them change Aqualung/Apeks from DIN to Yoke. Chances are you'll be much happier with their price also as they don't sell everything for "list price" like most dive shops do.). Give Phil a call at the above number. He can answer all your questions and beat their price.

Hope all that helps.

Good on ya for ordering APEKS......those are the best regs in the world. They can do everything, anything, always! You did good by asking the folks on SCUBABOARD. PM me if you need some help with anything else. You SQUIDs are worth your weight in gold. Thanks for the service.

Back
Top Bottom