New art

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaArtNancy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone!
I just uploaded a brand new "hot off the easel" oil painting to my profile page- SeaArtNancy. I'm currently creating a new website of my marine art, I'll be offering originals, glicees and posters of my work. This art is created for divers by divers. I'd love a little feedback on this piece! Also, if anyone knows of any art galleries that they think would be interested in me, please drop me a line.
Thanks and happy diving!
Nancy

I think it's beautiful! Please let me know when you have your website up and running. I'd be proud to hang that one in my house.

Hi Dee & RobinT,
Thanks so much, I really appreciate your kind words! I'm beginning to check into galleries and will hopefully have my website up & running soon. Just started a new painting of the seahorses, my husband and I found quite a few last time we were in Roatan.
Robin, I'd love to see your work sometime! Drop me a line!
Happy diving!
Nancy

Nice painting, Nancy. If you do any paintings of diving in the Pacific Northwest, let me know -- I'll do a short video about you and your paintings for my TV series. I just did an interview with an underwater photographer and photography instructor Dan Hershman for my latest episode to be released in early April.

Hi John, Thanks so much! I'd love to be included in your video,however I have'nt had the opportunity to dive those waters. I try to be as authentic as possible in my work and it really helps for me to see it and experience it first. I'd love to do a painting of wolf eels...they fascinate me...and also a piece on the kelp forest..the light shining through the kelp would be amazing to paint. I'm a bit familiar with the sealife there, I used to design wildlife tee shirts for a company called Harlequin Nature Graphics and we had several clients in that neck on the woods.
My husband Greg is my photographer- he shoots all my references. (it's really funny being at depth and trying to convey the angle of a wall that I want shot...our underwater communication skills are very entertaining!) I've been focusing on Caribbean reefs since it's a 3 hour drive for me to jump in and we also visit Roatan on a regular basis. I'll be diving in Palau and Yap early this summer- can't wait to start painting what I experience over there! Jellyfish lake is going to be a blast to capture on canvas!
Thanks again and I'll try to get a dive trip planned for the Pacific Northwest....when's the best time to dive there?
I'll post another painting today on my profile page....
Nancy

Sounds like a charmed, charming, life. I have been to a number of Caribbean locations, including Roatan. I had such a good time there I stayed an extra week!

The best time to dive here -- a loaded question. Possibly the most reliable compromise between nice weather and visibility is in the late summer, after the plankton dies and before it gets stormy. But anomalies are the norm.

If you'd like a suggestion (if not, just ignore this) there is a lot of pictures that are beautiful renditions of underwater critters, and I think that is a good service to the non-diving public. But I think an underexploited niche which would be even more helpful to the public is showing the behavior of the critters underwater. I've been talking to a few photographers about that, wondering how you can show behavior with a single image. Some people succeed sometimes, but it's not easy. But that sounds like it might be an interesting challenge for a painter -- you'd have somewhat more latitude than a photographer. One diver I know is both a photographer and artist, and he does some stuff you might enjoy:
Northwest Dive Club • View topic - Whidbey Island Critters

Good luck, stay in touch.

Hi John,
Thanks for a great suggestion! I usually try to hang in one place for a while during a dive to really observe fish behavior...a moment frozen in time can tell quite a story...Had a great opportunity watching an octopus hunt one evening at the Reef House Resort's pool....also spent time swimming with their resident hawksbills....
Thanks again and I really enjoyed the Whidbey Island Critter!
Cheers,
Nancy

Nancy,
Great job !!!!!!! I love it !!
As a fellow artist, I appreciate the blood, sweat and tears that go into a painting.
I hope you get your website up and running soon, but marketing yourself doesn't stop there.
Good luck in all your adventures.

Bonnielynn

Thanks so much Bonnielynn! I have a friend who has a very strong background in marketing and sales who has offered to help launch me.....there's going to be a lot of pavement walking but it's so worth it! I'd love to see your work, do you have a website?
Happy diving!
Nancy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom