New Bay Area diving enthusiast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cliffdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Well! Ain't this the coolest doggone thing? I've seen - much like I think everyone has - tons of member-driven message boards over the years, but this one sure takes the cake! I've followed this board for a few weeks to get a taste, and you guys rock!

Okay, so I'm still pretty new to diving, but I'll finish up my AOW in the next couple of weeks. That's going to be in Monterey, and that brings me to my first question that all you experts will, I hope, help me with:

To all who dive Monterey, CA a lot: I need suggestions on a good wet suit that'll handle those temperatures. I'm contemplating purchasing my first 7mm suit...

Welcome to the Scuba Board! :hi: Fun place to hang out, learn, compare, argue... :thumb:

Cna't help you on your question directly, but you might try the SEARCH option at the top of the page. That should give you hours of opinions. Beyond that, there's Exposure Suits forum, and the Northern Calf Club forum.

good luck, don

I opted for a custom made wetsuit (see profile) because I didn't like the fit of the ones I rented at the beginning. The custom suit fits great, and it takes a while for the water to filter all through it. I feel the cold, but it is not a big problem. In fact the only problem I have is after the second dive, when I am at the ladder, the guys on the boat always want to ask questions. I just want to clear my nose first, and my lips don't function well since they are frozen.

My buddy bought the Henderson Gold Core 2 piece 7 mil wetsuit. He absolutely loves it. He swears that it is really easy to doff - don because of the Gold Core. He swears it keeps him warm (although he is warmer than me above water also).

Our third buddy also has a custom wetsuit, but it is a one piece 7 mil unit. He needed the custom because he had put on a whole lot of weight. Of course he is a freak of nature and he never gets cold, but we like him anyway.

Also, the Henderson hoods have a great little vent "valve" on top that lets air out without letting water in.

Also, because my buddy talked so much about how wonderful the Gold Core is, I bought a pair of the Henderson 5 mil gloves. My Mares 5 mil gloves were okay, but they were hard to put on and take off. The Gold Core gloves are easier to put on and take off.

I spent about $200 more for the custom wetsuit, but to each his own. When the current wetsuit expires, I will probably go dry, but when I first started I wasn't ready for the extra cost or the extra task loading involved.

As noted by me on other posts: the warmest dives we have had in Monterey were 57 degrees in November, the coldest were 47 degrees in May. Most August dives were low 50's.

Just FYI.

My two cents, but only because you asked.

Wristshot.

Dandy Don and Wristshot - thanks millions. Your replies are a huge help. I'll hit the search engine and the No. Cal section too. Wristshot - your notes on Monterey diving temps and such and the Henderson suits are a big help. Thanks again.

is all about the Henderson hyperstretch witth a hooded vest, with gloves and booties...

I've recently added a drysuit to my gear collection, so my son dives the Henderson.

Back
Top Bottom