New book in March 2011; Excerpts thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it is. Most economical way to do it and keep the price within reason. For now anyway. If it picks up that could change but I have the copyright and ISBN covered so that would not be a big jump.

Are there OW training options that are more all inclusive? It seems the current model is so piecemeal that true competence isn't achieved until Dive Rescue or even Divemaster.

There are a number of options. While not singling them out or even naming them in the book to try and keep everything fair I do advise new divers on how to choose them and locate them. Mostly by being proactive and doing some research as well as interviewing instructors and shops thoroughly before signing up or paying any money. Why would you as I say give more thought to choosing a new TV than a course that will teach you how to survive in a hostile to human life environment. Especially with the internet. Google scuba training agencies and look over the first 4 pages of results and start clicking on some of them. Then take that list to the shop or instructor you plan to train with and ask him/her to explain the differences. Then take those answers and go back and find out if they are accurate. I have standards for 6 different agencies and will show students all of them if they want. Then let them make a decision. That's the long answer. If you want more to the point these are the ones I know of off the top of my head that have the things I would look for in an OW class including task loading exercises, emphasis on knowledge as well as skill, and, very important to me, rescue skills in OW by standards. In no particular order.

BSAC
CMAS
LA County
NAUI
PDIC
SEI

There may be others that I am not familiar with and some instructors may choose to offer all of this on their own. This is why you need to interview them as you would any other employee. In fact a good lead in to the next excerpt. Thanks for the opportunity.

As per my last post an excerpt from Chapter 8 Choosing an Instructor.
"Chapter Eight: Choosing an Instructor -- They Work for You!

Many people choose an instructor with less thought than they give to choosing a new television. My question is, why? A television does not hold your life in its hands, but the instructor you choose will. Some do not even have a choice of who the instructor will be; they sign up with a large shop and the shop assigns the students to whoever has the next class. No pre-class interview, no quick personality check to see if they mesh well, and no opportunity for the instructor to assess the fitness and interests of the student. I cannot fathom why anyone would accept this. When choosing an instructor, you need to understand that what you are doing is hiring an employee. You are the employer -- not the shop, not the agency, not the dive resort. You are employing this person to teach you to survive in an environment that is hostile to human life. Why would you not put serious thought into this? Why would you not interview this person and ask questions of him or her?"

Every agency has good instructors, great instructors, and some that are neither. So how do you find the best ones? Here are a few things to consider: First of all, how did you hear of them? Was it an ad in the phonebook, online, or from a friend? These are all good ways of finding an instructor, but you don’t usually get a lot of information to work with. Can you find online reviews of the shop or its personnel? Are you able to talk to former students and get their impressions? An instructor who has nothing to hide or fear has no problem contacting former students and getting their permission to use them as references. If you go through a shop and they assign the instructor, can you interview them before paying any course fee?"

Much more to this in the book.

From the chapter on "When to Get More Training" :

"It is unwise to take on advanced training before the diver has had time to practice basic skills and get comfortable with them. There are agencies and shops that encourage divers into taking more training right after Open Water. I feel this is a mistake if the student will be introduced to new skills, because all diving skills are built upon the basics. Open Water skills need to be practiced to some degree before they can become the solid foundation upon which the student can effectively add advanced training."

Review sent to me yesterday. Had to share this with you all.

"I have recently had the opportunity to read an advance copy of the new book by Jim Lapenta. This well written new book, should be on every divers book shelf. Potential divers, new divers, and experienced pro's will benefit from the wise and thoughtful information.

I have a good library of diving books, manuals, magazines, etc. My first purchase was the New Science of Skin and Scuba-some 40 years ago.

This will be a go to book and is a new standard. Thank you Jim. Great book."

Michael Brennan
President, Apollo Sports USA, INC. this with the board.

Greetings Jim March is coming and I am stoked my friend to start reading your book.
Question is there another coming? I know this was a major work but your candid passion has revealed itself in many of your posts here on SB!
Diving needs champions as yourself to keep it real!
Anticipation is a real pain some times but when TV is unbearable and internet surfing/diving getting old, I need good material to digest!
Take care brother heading out to the pool to keep skills fresh and share bubbles with good buddies!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Just finished reading your book, Jim. I loved it! I think it's a great read for a new diver or someone looking to start diving, as well as a reminder to instructors of their obligations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom