New BooK: To Kill A Diver. A Murder Mystery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cover was not changed from test cover yet, but inside is correct

I read the book with great interest after downloading it to my Nook. Interesting plot that gets bogged down in far too much description of the critters the characters encounter in diving the underwater park. Also, the book would benefit greatly from a good editor. There are far too many errors in construction and usage (duel tanks, boats birthing) etc. I can't recommend it for the price.

I did go heavy on the marine biology in that book. I wrote it before working as a writer for Dive News Network. As for the editing, I will look through it one more time in a year from now as I can't see the errors myself after rewriting so many times. A good editor could have helped, but that would have meant going through a major publishing house which do not particularly like small circulation scuba diving niche books, but then again, the price through the big publishers would have been $15 instead of the just under $9 that was the minimum for secondary retailers such as Powel Books and Barnes and Noble. Thanks for you honest opinion.
Mike

Actually a good editor can also be found easily in many high schools and colleges. An English teacher or professor may enjoy the challenge and do it quite reasonably. My editor just happens to be my GF so that worked out quite well. You do not need to go through a publishing house to get an editor if you self publish. I also highly recommend a book my editor recommended to me titled "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" by Lynne Truss and you can also get an Ivy League education in writing for free from Pudue. Their OWL program Purdue OWL
is free, has tons of resources, and is well laid out.

I use the Purdue site on a regular basis. Although my posts on here may not always reflect it, I've also edited my fair share of books. If it's a book on a topic I enjoy, I often do it for free, in exchange for free reading material :) So options are definitely out there.

Looking forward to this read at the end of the semester. I can't read recreational books during school, I tend not to get my homework done as quickly! I did just finish reading Fatally Flawed: The Quest to be Deepest. It too, was riddled with grammar errors. Maybe we should propose a study on the effects of high pressure environments on literature?

As for the editing, I will look through it one more time in a year from now as I can't see the errors myself after rewriting so many times.
Mike

I write quite a bit myself, mostly environmental analyses, but some scuba and shipwreck articles and guides. You are correct, after extensive rewriting, the author is not likely to see errors because of familiarity and the tendency of the mind to race ahead. One method suggested to me is to read a piece backward to catch errors. It works but is very tedious.

I can vouch for the backwards technique. Also works great for memorization!

I will pick one book from Amazon as I the title of your book is very interesting. Thank you so much for this mystery book.

Back
Top Bottom