New certified divers heading to Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is a repost from the new diver section.

My daughter and I just finished our open water certification. We bought our own equipment

- Regulator - Atomic Z2 X for her and Atomic B-2 for me
- Octopus - Atomic SS1 for both of us (we will train rescue with them)
- Computer - Oceanic Atom 2.0 for both (with buddy air monitoring)
- Analog depth and air pressure gauges for both (backup)
- Wrist compass for me
- SS knifes attached to the BC
- Zeagle BCs
- Shorty wet suit for me. She may rent one there.
- All the rest (masks, fins, etc.)

We are planning to do mostly shore entries in Oahu (thinking about Shark's cove and power plant).

We are looking for suggestions, tips, warnings.

One question we are struggling is with wetsuit. I have a shorty and my daughter doesn't seem to care for one. Is it needed in Oahu for shallow dives (<100ft)?

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on your OW certs, may they lead you through a lifetime of great diving! Same thing with the gear, quality gear will last you a long time and save you oodles compared to renting (you dive more often with your own stuff.)

Suggestions: Shore diving here on Oahu is super fun, but don't discount some of the fantastic boat diving we have here as well.

Tips: Research the sites you plan to dive, and see what the locals are doing in the water before you gear up. If you don't see anybody else in the water, you may want to reconsider your choice of dive sites.

Warnings: Use your head, plan your dives, dive your plans.

Wetsuits: Well if you ask 20 divers you will get 20 different responses. It personally depends on your ability to tolerate the cold. If I may ask, what water temps and durations have you been experiencing with your current choice of thermal protection? Water temps generally range from 74-79 degrees F year-round, and on some sites it's completely normal to log an hour and a half in the water from shore on a regular AL80.

I personally dive with a 3mm fullsuit with boots, gloves, and hood. That's good enough for me to stand an hour or so before I start getting a bit too cold. I know other divers that outlast me in cold tolerance with shorts and a t-shirt, and I've seen the entire spectrum of combinations, including one diver who was using two 3mm suits layered over each other.

Also, when will you be here? We could give you much better advice on sites if you give us a timeframe.

Peace,
Greg

I agree, locations are all about timing. I have some favorite places on the east side but they are not divable during the summer for the most part.
I know people that dive in Skins, shorties and various full suits, I also agree that its all about your ability to tollerate the temperature. you will know after the first dive. Personally, I dive a full suit just in case, 3mm.

Carvalho's book is good for shore info....

Amazon.com: The O&#39;ahu Snorkelers and Shore Divers Guide (9780824826468): Francisco B. de Carvalho: Books

Also check out shorediving.com

Greg's advice is really good. Get to the site early, watch the waves (don't just stare at the ocean for 5 seconds, but really watch them). Talk to other divers and watch where and when they enter. Shore diving can be a blast if done properly and a nightmare if you are overconfident or are uninformed. If you need a guide, no shame in that.... plenty of folks here willing to show you around.

I might add that the entire Pupukea area is great (Three Tables, Fire House, Sharks Cove). Again, talk to local divers and when in doubt, don't go out.

G

We will be there from 06/11 to 06/ 25.

Thanks for all the tips. Definitely we will be checking the local divers for advice and the great resources here.

G,

Thanks for the tip on the book. Seems very interesting. I'll get one.

I really don't want to sound like the scuba police here, but I would really consider not taking your newly certified daughter for a 100 ft shore dive. Please think of taking AOW at a minimum. Shore diving can be enough of an overload depending on conditions. There are a ton of dive shops that should be more than willing to take your shore diving request into consideration and have a DM lead you on a memorable dive.

Should be fun dive. be sure you are familiar with your gear and dive the conditions you want to dive.

I really don't want to sound like the scuba police here, but I would really consider not taking your newly certified daughter for a 100 ft shore dive. Please think of taking AOW at a minimum. Shore diving can be enough of an overload depending on conditions. There are a ton of dive shops that should be more than willing to take your shore diving request into consideration and have a DM lead you on a memorable dive.

I only know of one shore dive that features depths close to 100 feet, and last time I went looking for it I got lost and found 75 feet after swimming for an hour and half on the surface.

Any of the more popular shore diving spots (Pupukea, Kahe Pt, Makaha) feature shallow-average depths unless you really want to swim for it, I was doing all three straight out of OW and I was far from a super-duper diver at that point (I'm still nowhere close). I believe the advice given in this thread is sufficient for allowing the OP to make their own decision.

But if you wish for a dive guide due to being in unfamiliar water and not wishing to hope up an experienced buddy when you get to the dive site there are many fine operators here on the island. Gabe is one of them and I would highly recommend him to anyone who is visiting.

Peace,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom