New crab for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is the first one of these I've seen here in Destin. Anybody got a name I can call him?

neat crab... nice armor

You know, it would sure be a big help if you guys from north Florida didn't inflict your personal hygiene discoveries on the rest of us.

:lol:

Tom Winters:
You know, it would sure be a big help if you guys from north Florida didn't inflict your personal hygiene discoveries on the rest of us.
We do like to share, don't we! :D

SeaYoda:
This is the first one of these I've seen here in Destin. Anybody got a name I can call him?
I've seen bits & pieces of that species from time to time around Perdido Bay, but I can't help with a name. This is the first pic I've seen of the whole animal... beautiful!
Thanks,
Rick

SeaYoda:

I don't know. Fred, maybe?

They sure are cute aren't they LOL!

I believe they are called box crabs and Calappa is a genus of crabs known commonly as box crabs, or shame-faced crabs. There are twelve recognised species in the genus:

* Calappa angusta A. Milne-Edwards, 1880 — nodose box crab
* Calappa bicornis (Miers, 1884)
* Calappa calappa (Linnaeus, 1758) — giant box crab
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/uk_enl_1115810292/img/1.jpg
* Calappa flammea (Herbst, 1794) — flame box crab
* Calappa galloides Stimpson, 1859 — rough box crab
* Calappa gallus (Herbst, 1803)
* Calappa granulata (Linnaeus, 1767)
* Calappa hepatica (Linnaeus, 1758) — smooth box crab
* Calappa ocellata Holthuis, 1958 — ocellate box crab
* Calappa pokipoki Ng, 2000
* Calappa sulcata Rathbun, 1898 — yellow box crab
* Calappa tortugae Rathbun, 1933

Info copied off the internet LOL!
We had a recent exibition of unsual crabs at Sentosa ehhh... it still might be going on right now. Anyway, these guys were on display here.

Cheers,

SangP

Am I the only one that doesn't get thumbnails? I was going to say something to admin, but figured that no one was getting them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom