New Dive Quarry in Illinois....Coming This Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, this is early, but I wanted to get this out there for people and start to get a feel for those interested. We will be obtaining a contract for a local quarry in Bolingbrook, IL. This is an 85 acre quarry, that is approximately 85+ft deep.

We have not had the opportunity to get in yet as all the details are being worked out. This, for now, will not be open all the time like other local quarries. Its to be shared with other events(fishing, etc), but no other events would be out there the dates we are diving. This could easily, with diver support, develop into a dive quarry only that has a more wide open dive schedule. We just have to wait and see how its accepted and grows. As long as their are no issues, people are wanting in, and so on, I see no reason it wont develop into a dive only quarry.

The plans:

- Get in ASAP and map the bottom and see what can really be done with it(stuck in politics right now and they want the Xs and Ys in place before we get in)
- Get some platforms for training. We will build or buy or accept donations for these or barter for entry. Buoys will also be needed.
- We have a Bus that is already donated for sinking, and will be looking for other things to slowly purchase and or be donated or bartered.
- $20 entrance fee will go directly into building this up as a dive quarry. The money will go into Platforms, Building for compressor( we currently have an extra compressor), underwater speakers, other structures/vehicles/etc to sink and explore. All the proceeds made, will go directly into making this a great dive opportunity! Im thinking it will grow pretty fast as our divers in the midwest love new dive exploration opportunities.
- For the time being, as it grows from its first baby step introduction...Tickets for entry will be limited and only sold on our website or in the store. How limited Im not sure yet as we are still in talks with parking and such. We also will require liabilities to be filled out either at store or online when ticket is purchased. This may change, but until we know if/when we can put a building up, this will be required
- Instructors will get in free when working with students, reduced rate when pleasure diving(unless otherwise worked out by mapping, developing, helping with quarry) The reason we feel they should pay if pleasure diving is that we want to build this quarry up and we need help! If your helping, fees can be waived...if your their for pleasure and just want to dive, you can be helping financially like everyone else to make a better dive quarry

I know there will be alot of growing pains and red tape in the beginning. Trust me, I dont want it either. But with the right support of volunteers, divers, donations, etc, we can have another dive destination in the midwest!

I look forward to any and all support in this venture! Feel free to contact me if your interested in helping, donating, volunteering in any way shape or form!

Feel free to respond in this with any insight, ideas, criticism, etc that you may have. The above are just a few brief guidelines that we have based on what we know so far.

The current dates we will have open for diving for the 2009 season( Im working hard on adding alot more, but its still early in this process so Im excited with what we have so far):

Sun, July 12
Sun, July 19
Sun, Aug. 2
Sun, Aug. 9
Sat, Sept. 12
Sun, Sept. 13
Sat, Oct. 3
Sun, Oct. 4 (full moon)
Sat, Nov. 7
Sun, Nov. 8
Sat, Dec. 12
Sun, Dec. 13

Again, remember this is the beginning and as the program grows or has alot of response and eager divers, it will grow!!

Count me in.
I am about as close as you can get to this new dive site.
It is 1.4 miles from my front door to the boat ramp.
Let me know how I can help.

Jim Breslin

Sounds like everything is heading in the right direction... I'll have to come out sometime during the summer...

Good luck everyone with this endeavor. I'm not too far - about 6 hours... Doable weekend trip.

What do you expect your viz to be on a typical weekend during the warmer months?

Good luck everyone with this endeavor. I'm not too far - about 6 hours... Doable weekend trip.

What do you expect your viz to be on a typical weekend during the warmer months?

Ted, bring your dog :)

Well its hard to say about the viz right now. What I can go off so far, until we dive, is it was a rock quarry, the area around it is pretty flat and not corn fields which means there will be little run off during rain, and also no fertilizer helping the algae. The other thing that Im hoping for is, since it is sooo big, we can have classes in the north, and most everybody else south of there. There are 2 islands that kind of block off the north....this would hopefully keep those that will be bottom kicking up north and muck that up. Those with experience will have their own area, and hopefully the stirred up north water, wont make it south too much.

When we heard about this opportunity last year, we stopped by to check it out. Rainy, overcast day in Sept. and on the dock we could see about 15ft down on the dock poles. The really test will be when we can finally dive it, and see what happens over the summer.

Go to satellite and hit "A" on the left side, then zoom in:
whalon lake - Google Maps

Thats an old pic, the southwest corner you can see a big dirt patch, thats a parking lot, with a dock off it. They do allow fishing there, trolling motors only and not even 15boats at a time. From what I get so far, they wouldnt be opposed to turning it into just a dive quarry if the $$$ is there and the recreational level it reaches and brings to the area. 15 boats 1-2 people each, or 200 divers in a weekend....Hmmmmmm let me see

Hey mike, I'm over in NW Indiana....and getting certified and looking to dive dive dive. If you guys need any help let me know I'll be willing to drive the hour or so to help out...

You know it!!! Thats a must! I love those when I go to Mermet....nothing beats a night dive with Dark Side of the Moon playing underwater....you can really feel the music!

Might be a little while until we get them, unless they are donated or money is coming in good and other necessities are already taken care of first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom