New diver advice--what are the dangers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're getting a lot of jokey responses, and that's mostly because we all know what you don't, which is that sharks are very cool to see, but not all that commonly seen. They certainly don't hunt divers, although when one is swimming right towards you trying to figure out what you are (they have poor eyesight), you can hardly help but experience a noticeable rise in your heart rate until they give a little flick of their tail and head off away from you. Again, they don't hunt divers.

Stuff to watch out for that can hurt you and that many people do​ get hurt by--lots of things can sting in self-defence, like fire coral, hydroids (look like pale ferns underwater) and anemones, so watch out not to grab anything since you won't know if it stings until it's too late. The worst fish I've ever encountered in relation to defending its territory aggressively is the titan triggerfish. They're mean and have big teeth that can bite a chunk out of you, so when I see them, I just give them lots of room so that I won't unintentionally invade their space. Damselfish, yeah, they're funny--they'll swim right into your mask to go nose-to-nose with you, but they're so small that they can't do any damage. The most annoying fish we've got here is the little blue-streak cleaner wrasse. Sometimes they decide to clean out your ear canal or pluck the little fuzzy hairs over your upper lip and cause you to startle--right when you're about to press the shutter for a prize-winning photo, of course.

I couldn't agree more but not just titans. And I thought they were my own personal underwater nemesis. I have been chased by more than one and have a video of a triggerfish swimming between myself and two other divers for more than 2 minutes, trying to get in a bite. They love to bite any exposed appendages, like ears. My first experience was when one nailed me on a knuckle. And remember, these fish can crunch shells and coral. That bite hurt for months!

Almost always, sharks are just one more thing you'll come to appreciate. They are the product of millions of years of evolution. There are situations like spear fishing as have been mentioned. There's the blood in the water thing and most of all, the low frequency sounds from wounded/struggling fish. Sharks can sense this vibe thru their lateral line. Still, hunters are rarely attacked.

Then there are locations that just ain't smart to dive in. An example would be a river mouth that has low viz.

thanks guy. great information in here even appreciated a couple of the jokes!
I hope I can find the padi dive tables online later for the e-learning. I don't have a recreational dive planner.

Seriously, the things you read about that are causing fatalities almost NEVER have anything to do with marine life. I've been diving for eight years, in various places around the world, with sharks and giant octopuses and triggerfish and all kinds of other critters, and my only injuries have been stings on the lip from jellyfish tentacles. Most animals are afraid of you, including most sharks, and it is a pleasure when one is relaxed enough to allow you to get close enough to see it well.

On the other hand, you are your own worst enemy in the water. Carelessness, complacency, ignorance, poor equipment and poor technique cause the majority of incidents and accidents. If you plan your dive, exercise prudence in what you do, ensure you have an adequate gas supply and monitor it carefully, and follow your dive plan, you will be all but assured of a long career of safe diving.

Thanks guys.as to some other advice... Is there a section on here that lists out the acronyms for here and maybe other places I would see it??
what is an OOA?
Or several other acronyms I see on here... Lol newb help?

Yikes...good question. When I got certified, there was no e-learning, so I'm not sure what it is exactly or what it covers.

I would imagine it would be, but if you need clarification at all you should talk to your instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom