New diver and dive clubs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kstakem

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a new diver and looking for dive buddies in the Northern Virginia area. I was wondering if anyone knows of any dive clubs that might be close by and active. I also plan on searching the internet a bit more. Seems my LDS doesnt have one and I feel bad hanging around asking if anyone wants to dive :)

I really want to dive a lot in September to build my comfort level and skills up before the winter sets in.

I also have all this new gear to break in !! :D

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin,
You came to the right place. There are a few clubs in the NoVA area (not sure how far out in Sterling you are) that are pretty active.

You can check out Patowmack Divers for a start. There are quite a few of us in the area that dive Millbrook Quarry in Haymarket and Lake Rawlings in Rawlings pretty often. We also take regular trips to the coast (DE, MD, VA, NC).

If you are up for it, there are a group of us meeting at Millbrook Quarry this Sat. at 10:00 am on Beach 1. Feel free to join us and PM me if you are interested or have any other questions.

Hope this helps..

Hi O-Ring,

That would be great if I could join you on Saturday. I am also doing a evening dive with a guy from the dive shop that night but a dive or two in the morning might let me relax some more for the evening. I have all new gear that I haven't dove with yet so I have a bit of anxiety about that. If that's not a problem I would love to join ya. Hehe beach 1 is where I did my OW so know that pretty well :)

Speaking of diving the coast is there really that much to do and see? I never figured the coast to be very good diving. Well other than down near NC.

I have stumbled onto the Patowmack diver site too and was just checking that out. I hope to come to the next meeting.

Speaking of diving the coast is there really that much to do and see? I never figured the coast to be very good diving. Well other than down near NC.

Oh yeah :D Diving the NE coast of the US is some of the best wreck diving in the world. NC, of course, is like mecca to the DC based wreck diver. The vis and temps are great and the aquatic life is incredible (we are going to Morehead City next weekend). VA Beach is like NC, but a little less good. Temps aren't quite as good, vis isn't quite as good, aquatic life isn't quite as good. MD and DE diving is the same thing...a little less nice than VA Beach. Then there's the quarry :( Anything beats the quarry, but we go anyway to try out gear and just to hang out and keep skills up between coastal runs. We can talk more about it on Sat. We are doing a couple Jersey dives later in the season or next year...haven't been up there yet..

I have stumbled onto the Patowmack diver site too and was just checking that out. I hope to come to the next meeting.

Cool. This will give you a chance to meet about 3-4 of the regulars at the Patowmack Divers meetings. That way, when you come, you won't feel weird about it and have nobody to sit by. We get new people every meeting these days and they are a diverse bunch..you should have fun (although I don't necessarily like the Japanese place we have been meeting...there's a McD's nearby).

Back
Top Bottom