New diver first boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't take your fins off until you have a good grip on the ladder or current line.

Best way I have found is fins off, hand them over or slip them up your arms to the elbows, grab ladder, feet on first rung, bum out a little, legs bent so body is not rubbing on ladder and three points of contact at all times. A little air in bc not fully inflated as you may get stuck at the top, reg in mouth. Practice at a pier to get the best style that works for you and take it slow as there is no hurry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Bracko. no need to climb out of the water with your gear, if you are not comfortable doing so.

its 75/25 for me. if i think its a rickety ladder, ill take my gear off. if im getting beat up in the water, ill take my gear off.

no shame in doing so. your safety is numero uno especially if your in a foreign country on holidays...forget about others waiting in the water.....they'll be fine.

I warn the boatsman that I'll be handing my BCD up when it's my turn. (Age and infirmity has it's pluses, finally)

Attached to my BCD or around the tank nipple, is a 4' piece of strap with a loop on the end. I hand him that loop and back off.

They appreciate the strap so they don't have to bend over and it's easier to haul aboard.

Good advice so far.

You may also want to ask if the the shop or boat you're diving with offers a "Boat Diving" class. This would be a good way to get some focused instruction, attention, and knowledge about boats and diving off of them, particularly the one you'll be using. If you don't have much boating experience, this could be a good way to go.

Once you get several boat dives under your belt, the usefulness of this class will be less, as much of the info will then seem to be common sense.

I'd like to elaborate on Steve_C's post. I always put my reg back in my mouth and my mask back on before boarding. This is to primarily avoid diesel/gas fumes that build up behind the boat. Many boats exhaust are on the left or right of the stern and can't be avoided. I usually let my dive buddy go first while I hang onto the stern. There is nothing more irritating than sucking fumes with burning eyes in 8 foot seas trying to get back on the boat.

Reactions: Doc
Everyone has given great advice thus far. The only thing I can add is when you decide to go for the ladder, if there is any chop at all to the seas, keep both hands out as far as they can go reaching for the ladder. You don't want to swim up to the ladder and risk getting bonked by it.

A couple of things to add. Ask where the PFD's are, ask where the oxygen is, ask where the radio is and what channel for emergency calls.

I do.

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but if you take off your BC and wear a weight belt, pls take the weight belt off first... I hope I don't have to tell you why.

I've seen divers take off their BC's first with the obvious results.

I do a lot of diving off RHIBs and generally the easiest method to get back on there is hand up your gear. Weight belt first/last depends on if your exposure protection is more buoyant than the belt, in my case it is under my crotch strap and doesn't have all my weight so it goes second. Once you have gotten rid of all the gear you can bounce yourself onto the pontoons, if you are really slick with it you can jump straight onto your knees but that always only seems to be the DMs trying to show off to the skipper.

A couple things I haven't seen people mention in this thread, or do much on my diving, is keep your fins handy with your mask around your neck. It really depends on the boat and conditions but I was taught to do this in case you had to bail from the boat. You can just reach down for your fins and back roll off and you will be much more comfortable while waiting for rescue.

A lot of smaller boats (i.e. RHIBS) will require you to wear your exposure protection while the boat is under way as it counts as your floatation device. On bigger boats this isn't an issue but on the smaller boats some divers can get a bit cooked in their drysuit and undergarments.

Back
Top Bottom