New Diver from NH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrasch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,
Wanted to put a quick intro in this section besides just the intro section. New diver, start my class july 16th. Anyone in the seacoast area that knows good dive spots and willing to go with a new diver once I complete my Cert let me know would love to start checking out the underwater world around us.

Nubble Point in York is the best local dive site, just over the border in Maine. You can dive that site 10X and still fine new places every time. With only 17 miles of coastline, NH is slim pickings. If you drive down to Cape Ann, there is a variety of good dive sites ranging from novice to advanced. I am betting one of your checkout dives will be at one of these locations. Parking is tough, plan on early morning arrivals in the summer.

Nubble Point in York is the best local dive site, just over the border in Maine. You can dive that site 10X and still fine new places every time. With only 17 miles of coastline, NH is slim pickings. If you drive down to Cape Ann, there is a variety of good dive sites ranging from novice to advanced. I am betting one of your checkout dives will be at one of these locations. Parking is tough, plan on early morning arrivals in the summer.

Thanks for the info. What about Portsmouth and Isle of Shaols there looks like several dive spots from a map on Portsmouth Scuba's site have you ever dived those. I heard there is a train under water thats pretty cool.

While going through the process start thinking about gathering a network of dive buddies. In addition to your shop or instructor led activities consider getting in with the regional dive clubs.

United Divers of New Hampshire

Maine-iac Divers We meet in Portland and make most of our dives due east of you in York and Cumberland counties.

Once certified feel free to contact me, I take a special interest in helping new divers get wet.

BTW, southern Maine is much more than Nubble Light.

Pete

Thanks Pete I will def. hit you up once certified. I am thinking by end of july I will be done. My friend who got me to do this in preparation for a cruise is interested in going around here so we will be in touch hopefully in August.

There are some great spots at the Shoals. The only snag would be arranging a boat and having good Wx for diving. I will agree with GrumpyOldGuy and say that Nubble Point is a great site because of its diversity and awesome areas to check out. You will probably go to Nubble for your cert dives but if not let me know once you are certified I am always more than happy to dive there. I did my open water cert dives there and have been diving there for 2 years since. The NH coast does not offer much in the spectrum of great dive spots, most areas are really exposed and can be rough/there isn't really much to see. Cape Ann is a great place to go if you're willing to make the trip. A good idea would be to contact some dive shops down there and ask about day trips that they do. Good luck!

Bobby

My son and I are newly certified (June 9th) and recently did a dive at Fort Foster in Kittery Point. Shallow dive but really nice and easy. We live in North East MA and we're mostly looking to dive Cape Ann and the Portsmouth area. When will you complete your cert? If interested in hooking up to do some shore dives send me a PM.
Joe

Scuba Beach at Fort Foster is an excellent novice playground. Congratulations!

Pete

Back
Top Bottom