New Diver from Nor Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blewgrass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. I am a freediver from Nor Cal with very limited experience. I have one scuba class under me I took in Florida, and I will be certifying this year in Sonoma County, CA. I'm a 42 year old male nursing student and work in the Bodega Bay area part time. I have a Boston Whaler boat that is semi set up for diving and I have explored the rugged coastline quite a bit in the last 5 or 6 years. I look forward to surfing here and gathering as much expertise as possible from all here.

Thanks for the opportunity to post here.

Steve

Hi there,

Welcome to :sblogo:

Please do have FUN :D

:colouredsmilies: Welcome to ScubaBoard! :colouredsmilies: We have a fairly active group in the NorCal section, so please feel free to drop us all a line in there. When you are all done with your OW certification, let us know and come diving!!

Welcome Steve!!!

Welcome to northcoastdivers.org!

I normally dive Monterey Bay and Mendocino. I have recently moved to Vallejo and hope to freedive this weekend in Sonoma looking for a 10" Ab and maybe a Ling or Cab. See SpearBoard if you like to fish or Ab dive.

Welcome to scubaboard :)

The North Coast is a rugged place as I am sure you already know. Make sure to train for our conditions. Here is a recent thread regarding training. North Coast Divers - Who is better to get trained through

Cmburch, check the forecast before thinking of diving this weekend. The swells are supposed to be above storm threshold. "SATURDAY NW WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. COMBINED SEAS 15 TO 17 FT.
SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS." 8 feet is about max for diving and vis goes downhill fast.

Make sure to save these web links.

Swell reports.
Salt Point Park Ocean Conditions Home Page
North Coast Sea Conditions At a Glance
NDBC - NWS Forecast

Something all kelp divers should read.
Ba_diving Website - Information about Northern California diving

Thank you for the swell reports, Peter. I normally check the Bodega Bay Buoy and the Point Arena Buoy before I go as well as the forecast. I went April 1 and April 13 and posted on ST, SP and NCD.

NDBC - Station 46013

NDBC - Station 46014

2 nights before April 1 the wind was 20 to 30 knots and the seas over 10 feet. On Tuesday April 1 the seas were less than 3 feet, wind less than 5 knots and vis 25'+. I was surprised.

I've been freediving over 15 years. I normally look for seas less than 6 feet - less than 3 best and the trend of wind speed/wave height. If I misjudge and it is bad by the time I get to the coast, I go for a hike instead.

I was looking for the icon to give thanks, but it is not showing.

Thanks gang for the welcome, and I look forward to meeting some of you locals! I live in Cotati so I'm real close to Peter C. I work at Doran part time so I see Henry 1 flying the injured over me as well as hearing the drama over the scanner. With regard to ocean play in general, I err far on the side of caution. I have two kids that need a father.

Talk about nasty wind this weekend! whew!

Thanks for all the tips and info.

Steve

Saturday, April 19 Stillwater Cove, Monterey pretty protected.

Seas were a little rough to 15 feet in the unprotected areas of Monterey. Pic of a not so good location April 19 to freedive for a charity tournament.

Attachments

• April19.JPG
    April19.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 23
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom