New Diver in WCF- where should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was just certified this past weekend in Key Largo, such a great experience. I have a vacation in South Africa planned in October and I would really like to get some practice in locally so I can also plan a dive while there. I'm looking for suggestions for day trip to sites with in about a 3 hour drive of St.Pete. Can anyone recommend companies and sites to dive?

I just started diving this year as well, live in Jupiter. Its about 3 1/2 hours from you but you really can't go wrong diving from here or anywhere in the Palm Beaches. There is usually great visibility, lots of critters big and small. Even on a "mediocre" dive we see turtles, goliaths, sharks, tons of small life on the reefs. It's mostly drift diving, which is very easy if you go with a good operation, and there are reefs and wrecks depending on what you like to see. I dive pretty much exclusively with Jupiter Dive Center and can tell you they are great. Nice to have the boat dock at the shop as well so you don't have to transport tanks. Only thing is if you come, you will be glad if you take the NITROX course. It's easy to do online, and will almost double your bottom time as the dives here are relatively deep. JDC has pretty good rates for the course if you call them.

I haven't certified to dive below 60 feet, are the dives beyond that? I'd like to take the nitrox course soon.

most of the dives are on a reef edge that is 60-70 feet on top, 85ish on the bottom of the ledge. It's the first place I dove after my open water cert, most of the divers I talk to there are not AOW. I think it just comes down to comfort level. You will definitely not go below the recreational limit. I'm pretty new to the game, maybe others here can speak more informed about the 60 ft "limit" for Open Water certification. You can also stay up around 60 feet and still be in the action, sometimes you see more that way, and go deeper as your comfort level increases. There are usually air divers there as well, they just have to come up a lot earlier.

A few other options come to mind:

Devils Den in Willison is about 2 1/2 hours from you: it's an easy freshwater dive where you can practice your buoyancy: they have several underwater platforms. It's a fun enough dive as well though I'd not go out of my way to dive it unless I was in the area.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Devil's Den of Florida, USA East
Devils Den Springs Scuba Diving Resort

Rainbow River is about 2 hours north of you. It's an ultra shallow, low stress, fresh water dive where you can practice buoyancy. I went with American Pro on my trip but I think Bird's goes there too. Both of the shops are actually located in Crystal River
Manatee Vacation in the Florida Springs

Venice is only an hour away and is one of the best shark and fossil diving sites in the country. Vis isn't very good, but its shallow and you can practice your skills. You'll probably enjoy sifting in the sand for shark teeth and build the confidence that if you can dive with 5 feet of visibility comfortably, you can dive almost anywhere an OW cert will take you in Florida. (google 'venice shark tooth dive' for operators).

Jupiter is great and I dive here several times a month, year round, with JDC. I know Jupiter Dive Center certifies a lot of OW divers off of their boats, but I would have been somewhat intimidated if I had tried diving the area before I had 25 dives or so. But that might just be me and my conservative nature. I'm not sure that staying on top of the reef with only 25 minutes of dive time would be all that fun either.

If you'd be willing to drive just a bit further south, Boynton and WPB have a lot of 60 foot dives that easily fit in your OW certification. Even on air, you can get decent bottom time if you stay on top of the reefs. The Scuba Club in WPB is really good with newer divers since they usually send a least two guides down (one for air divers and one for nitrox divers). My main beef with this operator is the number of one tank dives it operates. Note that Boynton boats generally do not send guides down with the divers and while most of the WPB shops do, the single guide usually stays down until the nitrox divers are done: so air divers surface before the guide. Other operators include Jim Abernathy Scuba Adventures, Scuba Works boat off of PGA, Sandy's Sunday, Narcosis (probably better once you have a few more dives under your belt), Underwater Explorers, Splashdown.

If you'd be willing to drive just bit further, Pompano has some really easy shallow but beautiful reef dives. South Florida Dive HQ, Pompano Dive Center and Scubatyme are operators I've used. SFDHQ regularly goes to the shallow sites, but the other two do occasionally as well. Again, no guides, but you don't need one in 30 feet of water: if you get lost, just pop up and look for the dive boat. If traffic is light, you can make it to Pompano in 3 1/2 hours.

Blue Heron Bridge is a great shallow beach site in WPB that you can dive at slack high tide. If you're uncomfortable for any reason, hire a guide from Force-E or Pura Vida: both shops are nearby. See the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls thread for info or Blue Heron Bridge

+1 for everything that Sportxlh said especially BHB (definitely get a guide) and Underwater Explorers in Boynton and I also did Rainbow River with American Pro Dive last year

You've also got a few boats up the road from St Pete's in Clearwater and one I always try to make time to go out with is Capt Rod at Welcome To Dive Clearwater!

The diving will not match KL by a long way but personally I think it's great for a newly qualified diver as it's not too deep and there is no current so ideal to get used to the new environment
The one issue will be the weather and the trips being cancelled at 24 hr notice but as it's only up the road it's shouldn't mean any needless trips

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom