New diver - Regulator advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just picked up an apeks XTX100 cold set (2x first, 2x second) recently - so far so good. I also have a Scubapro mk19+G250V set - also functions perfectly. I regularly dive 5-6°C/42-44F lakes.

Ice diving is also on my list, as I learned the combo I have should be fine even in supercooled seawater. If you draw a line at ~40 degrees/4+°C, then you'll probably be fine with most modern regs. Of course warm water is not a problem for any regs, cold is the challenge.

I would recommend APEX XTX 50 or XTX 100. Great reg with acceptable price. Many divers use them for tehnical and ordinary dives. Great all rounder. Just I am not sure about tehnical support and service in your LDS.

Personally I use Mares Abyss Navy 22 which is also very good regulator, especially for cold water. Service period for Abyss is 2 years or 100 dives which is also one thing which you can consider before purchase.

Tamas970,

I'm looking at the XTX100 right with an XTX40 octo. How do you like it compared to the ScubaPro? Any real differences between them you'd consider note-worthy? What about services? Do you find one has a better warranty/maintenance policy? I'd be interested in your observations. Thanks!

You can't go wrong either way, both are perfect breathers (just tested the scubapro in the Adriatic at 43m and using the Apekses in the swiss lakes almost weekly).

The maintenance costs are around the same and you will easily find a trained technician to service your regs. Parts for life conditions are the same AFAIK (you have to service the regs yearly by an authorized Apeks/Aqualung or Scubapro technician). You can also service the regs yourself: both maintenance kits can be bought on ebay. It need some special tools though and might not worth the hassle if you find a reasonable service deal (<30EUR/stage).

Tamas970,

I'm looking at the XTX100 right with an XTX40 octo. How do you like it compared to the ScubaPro? Any real differences between them you'd consider note-worthy? What about services? Do you find one has a better warranty/maintenance policy? I'd be interested in your observations. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom