New diver, scared of sharks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom if you followed the rules and had a buddy you would then have something to distract the shark with :wink:

We live in Port St John (Brevard county). Any tips on dive shops with great deals, and what would be the most important to buy (only have $500 each) A regulator an octo or pony bottle,3 guauge console a BC? Leisurepro was tempting all for $400. Nice to chat with experienced divers.
Thanks y'all.

I can't help you with shops in your area, but if I were looking to purchase gear for 2 and had 1k to spend, I would be looking at a regulator set-up (1st/2nd stage w/octo and gages) 1st with possibly a dive computer 2nd if finances permit(computer depends on type of diving/depths - if dives will be shallow just use tables initially). A pony bottle would not be on my list at all - just my personal preference.

I would also check prices online and then talk to a local shop to see if they can get relatively close in price. The dive shop I deal with locally will usually get close or even match the price I can get online.

I like diving with SHARKS :sharkattack:but then again I like driving fast, Shooting Guns,:2ar15smil and have an affection for sharp knives and girls with tatto's:m:so perhaps mine is not the path to follow.

Many people here are quoting statistics like you are more likely to get killed by a falling coconut and sharks are just misunderstood cuddly critters.

I have personally dove with LOTS of sharks and still have all my limbs. I however am not going to lie about it. WHen a dog bites you you get stitches and some pain killers.

When sharks bite they swim off with large pieces of flesh which were once your beloved arms, legs and kidneys.

YOu can read about and view pictures of victims at- About Great White Shark Attacks Victim stories photo gallery of Bull,Tiger Attack on Divers & swimmers

There is just something about a torso with the arm sheared off and some white bone showing that brings the shark bite into perspective.

I have only met a few shark bite victims and actually saw one only minutes old once. She was literally in calf deep water and got hit by a shark working the surf line. She had a razor sharp half circle incision with four neat stabs on the other side in about a 5" circle.

We, as Man, are not the immortal champions of the earth as many seem to believe. The great cats, Wicked toothed fish, and tiny poisioness frogs can dispatch the strongest of us with barely any thought or reason.

I have the opposite issue, I wish to see MORE sharks, except when hunting. :eyebrow:

If you want to see more sharks, than hunt! If you are NOT hunting, or maybe more to the point killing, the likely hood of seeing sharks is slim, other than Nurse Sharks.

If you are fearful of sharks, than try and dive when the vis is good. We don't taste very good, and most shark attacks are mistakes, often in shallow water with poor vis. The sharks are not attacking to kill, they are tasting.

If you have good vis, you may see sharks, but they also see you, and you are not on the menu. There have been a couple of exceptions, but rare.

I'd worry more about boats, or fishing lines vs. sharks!

DebyDIver brought up a very good point. She and Walter dove with DINOSAURS so the modern day shark is nothing to them!

ON a serious note.. *yuck* did you see the pictures from that link. I am not sure which is the goryiest. THe spine, hips, and lower femurs which they become lower legs with sneakers and the left arm with shoulder in the same shot the rest missing.

THe diver in the blue wetsuit with the arm chewed down to the shiney white bone.

Gruesome and I see / smell some bad crap in a month....:coffee:

Divers either say "Oh, I'm not afraid of sharks!" or "Oh my gosh!, the sharks are going to eat me!" Pretty much everyone has some fear of sharks, even if they dive with them.

However, Sharks are no laughing matter. No, they do not set out hunting human flesh, but when you enter the water, you're entering the sharks' world. Sharks have had over 400 million years to adapt to the underwater world and are fierce hunters. Though rare, shark attacks (much more accurately called accidents) can happen. Shark attacks usually happen near land and when it is murky. Surfers have a better chance of being attacked. I would suggest to stay in clear water, do not mess with sharks, DO NOT hand feed sharks, and always remember that you are in the sharks' domain. Sharks aren't puppy dogs, so when they bite you, they take off skin and mussel, and pretty much what ever they grab and tear. Sharks usually only attack when they think you are food, so don't thrash around a lot, and avoid shiny jewelry. Don't fear the sharks, respect and protect them.

First off, I hate you since I've never seen a hammerhead........you lucky little....:m16:

someone on my boat sees a shark almost every trip...we're spearfishing. i had my first encounter with a large hammerhead last year and i've been using a shark shield ever since when the vis is not steller. and i've seen one shark since, spearfishing over 100 dives since.
you really only need to be careful with bulls /tigers/great whites - they have very high testosterone levels and are bigger generally and aggressive.
Don't ever feed the fish or sharks or dive near fisherman chumming and you'll be fine. If you want an added level of protection, wear a shark shield. I truly believe they work. PM me if you want more details.

Charlie

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic. I guess here in Jupiter it is the home of larger animals and its not uncommon to come across nurse sharks and reef sharks here as well as the occasional bull. My biggest shark fear is that I'll get too sidetracked taking pictures of one and forget to check my air. The first few times you see one, your heart rate will jump, but once you can relax around them, they sense it and relax around you. Same as with sea turtles and rays. They calm way down when you do. Sharks still tend to get scared and vamoose as soon as they know a diver is present though. As long as you follow the golden rule, and give them space or don't charge them, they're often pretty cool. I've had nurse sharks slide beneath me without me even seeing them until they're three feet away and then we both freak out and go opposite directions. Most sharks aren't to be feared in my opinion. Watch sharkwater if you can find it. I haven't seen it yet but supposedly it takes the atypical media approach to sharks.

Sharks rock!:sharks:

Thanks, I had heard Jupiter homes larger creatures, I am not a hunter, just looking to dive for pure enjoyment. I am sure though that after I see the first shark, I will not be so chicken! Are you more likely to see sharks doing a beach entry dive, or a boat dive? I would guess a boat as you are deeper, not sure though, any input?
thanks, Kelly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom