New diver toys at Beaver Lake!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdown247

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, apparently someone in their infinite wisdom decided to sink a helicopter and a few manequins along with some other goodies at Beaver Lake. Supposed to be a 2 seater frame style chopper (I'm thinking MASH Grasshopper style). It's not far from the Foundation/Bus location. I'll get the gps on it this weekend and post it for you locals. Technically, all you would need is an azimuth from the foundations, it's that easy.

The goodies are from 30ft to 60ft+ in depth in a very small cove w/ some broken trees sticking up from the water. I'll also see if I can get Mike to take his camera so I can get some pics to post.

C&J told me about that, but their boat doesn't go out at a time they could have taken me there and I don't know the area well enough to get there on my own. I'd really like to dive those however and take some pics of it.

Awaiting your info.

Reminds me - this weekend I'm headed to Beaver for a few dives on Saturday and Sunday. Only been down a few times, but I'm getting a little bored with the North Dam site. Did Indian Creek once - didn't see much. Can anyone give me some specific information on some shore diving in other places? (Or perhaps some information about the Indian Creek site?) Might be kinda neat also to go somewhere where there is a lot of swimming, maybe I'll find some "treasure."

Thanks.

-Nick

Dove the new "toys" at Beaver yesterday. Not too bad a dive...lots of stuff in a pretty close area, but be ready for some cold water. At 50ft, the temp was 58 degrees.

Unfortunately, I forgot to get the GPS coords from Mike, but I'll get them emailed to me this week.

Here's the gist: If you are at the foundations, face north. The cove you want is almost due east from the foundations. If you get to the boat docks, you're too far south. There will be colored jugs floating in the water to mark the shallowest item and the deepest item in the cove. We did not start at the shallow jug, but did hit the line that ran from the stacked boats to the single boat. Everything is connected by lines, but there are several downed trees to get hung up in, so be careful.

What we found:
1. a single boat 60's model
2. older moped
3. 2 chain saws in a tree (bring your hockey mask to play Jason!)
4. 1st airplane fuselage no wings (35-40ft of water)
5. 2nd airplane fuselage and a wing (50ft of water)
6. helicopter fuselage w/ rotors, seat frames, and side controls

There is supposed to be some manequins somewhere in that area, but we did not find them and of course the stacked boats. I should have some video of the dive within the week and I'll post it up on putfile.com when I get it.

Ok for those who've been waiting patiently on these, I have the GPS coordinates for the cove with the helicopter, boats, scooter, chain saws, and 2 plane fuselages.

Copter cove: N36.24.491 W093.50.537

His data says 20ft, but it should be 25-30ft roughly for the copter. Best thing is to anchor/tie off on the north side of the cove, then follow the bottom composition until you find a line that will take you to 2 stacked boats on the shallow end and another boat on the deeper (open lake side) end. From the deeper boat of the two, there are lines that interlink the other "toys". Be sure to take a cruise on the moped and bring your hockey masks so you can play Jason w/ the chain saws.

If you need other gps coords for Beaver, pm me and I'll accomodate; provided I have coords for what you're looking for.

I also have cords for Bull Shoals, Table Rock/Indian Point, TBR Kimberling city, and Norfork lake/Jordan Marina.

I dive at the foundations all the time, I just have to head into the cove away from the wall and the bus to find these things?

Our boat normally gets tied up at the Bouey by the foundations... I know the Bus is at about 29-30 degree's from there in 20-30 feet of water. And if you head out towards the main channel you come to a wall that you can go down and down and down... and never find the bottom...

So where exactly do I head from the foundations? Can I make a surface swim from there and make it to these new items?

You'd be very brave to risk a surface swim. It would be best to take a boat and tie up to one of the trees. I'll log an exact azimuth for you today when we get to Beaver so you have it. I have already posted the GPS coordinates, so if you have the coordinates for the foundation, you'll be able to get your azimuth that way.

diverdown247:
You'd be very brave to risk a surface swim. QUOTE]

There is a very fine line between bravery and stupidity...:no I have made that surface swim, although not by design. We were diving the school bus, and the boat blew off the anchor. We had to swim for the boat which ended up being over in those trees. I would not make that swim for any other reason, and if there had been another boat in the area, I wouldn't havee made it then. (that was a few years ago)

C and J's takes boats out there on a regular basis these days as do several other operators in the area.

Absolutely cruddy day yesterday. With all of the foul weather in Arkansas, vis was about 10-15 ft, but it was REALLY green.

I had a sinus issue coming on, so I was unable to get below 12 ft. Housing worked fine, even got a couple of pics of the stacked boats from about 10 ft or so above them. Unfortunately, the air temp at noon was just 55 degrees. The water temp at 10 ft was 68 degrees (no changes to 12-15ft).

I managed to overlook getting that azimuth from the foundation due to not feeling well. My sincerest apologies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom