New diver w daughters - grand cayman advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean frontiers will take into account the experience level and put you with like divers. The boats are never crowded and they truly are a valet dive service. That is, if you are doing multiple dives, you show up for them and your gear is on the boat ready to go and they change the tanks out for you. Or if you want to rig you can do it yourself. The divemasters offer guided or self guided dives. You will most likely be diving at sites on the east end. Also, the snorkeling at rum point is pretty good! Eat at Kurt's corner and take the afternoon jet ski tour with fat fish adventures to stingray city!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Love that your teenage daughters are getting into diving! You may have to buy a place down there when they get hooked on it... :cool2:

Check out: Dive Operators in the Cayman Islands | Scuba Diving

Have a great trip!

That's exactly what happened to us ten years ago. I have been using Cayman Turtle Divers, Grand Cayman Diving | Cayman Turtle Divers, for the past few years and I know we have stopped at the Kiabo dock, http://www.kaibo.kyhttp://www.kaibo.ky/, and picked up people. They are very good with new divers and will cater the dives to whoever charters them. Give J.T. a call and ask.

I have dove with both Ocean Frontiers and Tortuga divers and found both to be great. The UV dive with O.F. was a really neat thing and suitable for Novice divers. Tortuga Divers has a 2 tank, 2 reef, shallow dive in the afternoons thats really nice. If you go out with them, then you should take the time to do a snorkel at Morritts. From the dive shop, facing the ocean, you walk to the right, past Morritts grounds. You swim out past the grass bed and then all you have to do is float with the light current back down to Morritts docks. We say an eagle ray there everyday plus lots of other neat stuff. If you go to town, you can get a guided dive tour at Eden's Rock. It is really worth it if the silversides are there. It is an easy dive but I wouldn't suggest newly certified divers,2 of them teens, to go on any ocean dive by themselves. It has been wonderful diving with my teen daughter and I am sure it will be for you too. The Kittywake is set up for new divers too and that was fun.You will have a great time no matter which operator you go out with. Check out the colorful christmas tree worms on the pilings at rum point docks. I have never seen so many different bright colors of them all at one place. Dozens of blue, orange,red, yellow and green all together.

I spent July 4th week in Grand Cayman diving with Tortuga/Red Sail. I logged 17 dives from Rum Point and Morrits plus 2 additional dive at the Kitti Wake and Ori Verde wrecks. The Rum Point deep sites (100 feet) were on the North Wall and were spectacular. The second Rum Point dives were 60 feet as an earlier poster said. The Morrits based dives were a mix of 100 foot wall dives and 60 foot and shallower reefs.

Tortuga is a first class operation. Their people are great including Nigel, Sarah & James at Morrits and Captain Mark at Rum Point. Their boats are built for diving (great platforms and ladders ). Although I did not rent gear their dive equipment looked to be well maintained. Tortuga/Red Sail puts guides in the water on every dive. You are able to opt out of the guide on the shallower dives.

Morrits is a 15-20 minute drive from Rum Point.

I would call Tortuga/Red Sail at Morrits and explain exactly what you are looking for.

David

My two high school daughters (17 and 15.5) and I are newly certified and we are taking vacation to grand Caymen. The location is set by my wife and kids. We've never dove in ocean and never selected a dive op. we will be there last part of August.

we will bring our own mask fins snorkel, but that's it.

We rented a house at rum point for the whole family (6).

Our instructor did a very good job and all of us are very comfortable with gear and in the water. We had a private class that made a huge difference with the attention each of the girls got.

Any help we can get finding an operator that will work closely with us as new divers would be greatly appreciated.

Your closest operator is Red Sail at Rum Point - Activities | Cayman Islands | Red Sail Sports Cayman

Thank you all for the help and input. I will post a report on our return.

Go with Ocean Frontiers. They will spoil you guys. Its worth the 20 minute drive.

Back
Top Bottom