New divers need equipment help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with the i300 as part of an Aqualung package deal. 15 dives later I upgraded to the Perdix air integrated. It was expensive but not as expensive as wasting money on a budget computer that I was never happy with and only used for 15 dives.

I also upgraded my Aqualung Zuma to a BP/W. The Zuma was a back inflate that lacked proper d-rings and a crotch strap for keeping it from riding up. The other reasons for upgrading from the Zuma are minor but there are several of them. It hangs in my closet and I would dive it if I had to but I suspect it will live there unused unless a friend wants to try it out. So that is another piece of gear that ends up being expensive based on cost per use because I bought a package to save money.

The regs that came with it have been upgraded as well but there was nothing really wrong with them besides the difficulty in getting service parts and the cost and trust factor associated with getting them serviced at the LDS. I have used them as spares and they saved me earlier this month on a LOB trip. I will also use them a sidemount rig as I have found parts.

This becomes a very personal question and answer exercise. I have not made recommendations but rather shared my experience. Advice on dive gear invites argumentative people to argue so try to take argumentative posts with a grain of salt. They distract from the good info that is available here.

"super good"???? You mean budget low grade?

Come on, Perdix AI for a new diver? Why not Aqua Lung i300C or Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix Wrist Dive Computer?

I hear you. I'm a new diver and paid some money for Cressi Leonardo. Didn't care for it although it did what it was supposed to just like a Zoop or other cheaper DC.

Spent my Christmas bonus on a Perdix AI w/transmitter. Money well spent.

For a new diver with the money to burn I have no problem recommending the Perdix. If cash is an issue buy something cheaper.

New diver doesn't mean you can't buy a top notch piece of equipment. That Perdix is a great piece of gear.

"super good"???? You mean budget low grade?

Come on, Perdix AI for a new diver? Why not Aqua Lung i300C or Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix Wrist Dive Computer?

you keep saying that it's low grade stuff, but you've never actually been able to say why...

and yeah, for a new diver. Buy once, cry once. OP didn't give any more info about long terms plans and what they may or may not want.

on those computers, watch sized computers to me are specific use scenarios vs. good general computers, especially if they're diving locally vs. travel

For that same reason, @BurhanMuntasser my friend, if you have the budget I also agree with going with a Perdix. It's the only computer you'll ever need!

Personally, I am the type of diver who would either the best suitable equipment or nothing however for a new diver, you can't push the absolute top of the line on them without giving them option B, C and even D. On one had most people here on SB badmouth LDS when the LDS tries to push top of the line most expensive equipment yet they give themselves license to do it here without giving other more reasonable choices. As an instructor, I give advice to my students and friends on equipment based on realistic conditions and not just what will be out of reach for most people. I give them what is best for them at different price points (best, very good and good).

you keep saying that it's low grade stuff, but you've never actually been able to say why...

People have pointed out to you above why but it is mainly like "Toyo Auto" vs. "Toyota" type of thing.

and yeah, for a new diver. Buy once, cry once. OP didn't give any more info about long terms plans and what they may or may not want.

I'll repeat to you what I just said to Tyler above:

Personally, I am the type of diver who would either the best suitable equipment or nothing however for a new diver, you can't push the absolute top of the line on them without giving them option B, C and even D. On one had most people here on SB badmouth LDS when the LDS tries to push top of the line most expensive equipment yet they give themselves license to do it here without giving other more reasonable choices. As an instructor, I give advice to my students and friends on equipment based on realistic conditions and not just what will be out of reach for most people. I give them what is best for them at different price points (best, very good and good).

on those computers, watch sized computers to me are specific use scenarios vs. good general computers, especially if they're diving locally vs. travel
What??

Giving advice on equipment on strictly the absolute top of the line and most expensive to new divers is more a disservice than actual advice. Most people that do it here are doing it simply to feel good about their own purchases and to overcome the "after sale" remorse and guilty feelings. They want to see others agree with them and even do what they did for them to sleep better and have a good justifications for themselves and their wives.

It doesn't do new divers any good to be so emphatic about what computer they should buy especially when it is most expensive. There is nothing wrong with recommending a Perdix AI to a new diver should the new divers be asking about what is the latest and greatest while expressing their willingness to spend the money that is required to get the latest and greatest. When I give advice to my students and friends on what to buy, I give them three choices going down the price range for them to pick what they can afford yet feel good and safe that they are buying the best within the respective price range. Telling them that only a $1200 computer will do and anything else is "bad" is incredibly ridiculous and isn't very honest.

Giving advice on equipment on strictly the absolute top of the line and most expensive to new divers is more a disservice than actual advice. Most people that do it here are doing it simply to feel good about their own purchases and to overcome the "after sale" remorse and guilty feelings. They want to see others agree with them and even do what they did for them to sleep better and have a good justifications for themselves and their wives.

It doesn't do new divers any good to be so emphatic about what computer they should buy especially when it is most expensive. There is nothing wrong with recommending a Perdix AI to a new diver should the new divers be asking about what is the latest and greatest while expressing their willingness to spend the money that is required to get the latest and greatest. When I give advice to my students and friends on what to buy, I give them three choices going down the price range for them to pick what they can afford yet feel good and safe that they are buying the best within the respective price range. Telling them that only a $1200 computer will do and anything else is "bad" is incredibly ridiculous and isn't very honest.

I don't disagree. There are a lot of decent cheaper computers. I had one, so does my girlfriend - they work great.

It just happens that I was disappointed with the money spent on the cheaper computer and wish I would have just bought the Perdix first. Same with my fins. I bought some cheaper fins and then wished I had skipped them in favor of the Seawing Nova's I have now. Spend way more doing this twice.

That being said; I am far from emphatic that anyone should buy anything in particular. Just my experience being disappointed when I go cheap and end up upgrading very early in the cycle.

It's also a personality thing. I have always researched and purchased good gear whether it was for motorcycling, ice hockey, cycling, canoeing or diving. If any large equipment purchase was so heavy it would impact my diving opportunities, I would buy cheap and get out in the water.

Me personally? I always recommend that you buy the best you can reasonably afford.

Last edited:
Telling them that only a $1200 computer will do and anything else is "bad" is incredibly ridiculous and isn't very honest.

Nobody has said that. You are simply taking a counter position to other posters. Rather than stating examples that compare and contrast the options or stating reasons for your argument, you are misquoting those that you disagreeing with in an attempt to weaken their position. They aren't even arguing. In every case people are saying things like, "for my money" "if you have money to burn" or they are just telling of their experience.

You are also taking the cynical position that they are recommending the computer that they have found to be their choice to address their buyer's remorse? It is sad that you would think that. The best money that I have spent in diving is the money I spent on my Perdix. It is a great tool. I enjoy every interaction I have with it. I was quite frustrated by my i300. It was hard to read, the light times out, the interface is terrible and it requires a proprietary cable to download the dives. I also dislike it's algorithm. I stopped using it as a backup because by the third day it would be in VIO and I wasn't diving aggressively. I did have buyer's remorse about it.

It is ok for others offer their opinion or advice without you attacking their advice and their motives?

People have pointed out to you above why but it is mainly like "Toyo Auto" vs. "Toyota" type of thing.

you keep pointing that out, but can never justify why you say that. While I have had no input into any of the DSS products, I have with several other large manufacturers, including ones you are calling "Toyota", and from that experience I can fully say that what you are implying is not true. If anything, many of the big name brands, OMS, Hollis, etc. fit into that category

Back
Top Bottom