New DSS Rig - a surprise and some questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First.. Thanks Tobin for a great buying experience. Rig arrived yesterday and I have some questions and at least one surprise.
I previously had a Zeagle Stilletto which was quite floppy. It was a pain putting it on. I expected the Hog setup to be much worse. The surprise.. I can't believe how much difference having a plate makes in getting the rig on (with a tank!).. Donning and doffing is a breeze in comparison to what I was used to. I have not made it to the water yet to tweak my fit, but I expect it will still be easy.
You told me so!

And I did put the Drings on so that they lay flat instead of them sticking out. It would be good if a note to which way is 'right' was in the instructions.
The instructions were OK, but the detail in the some of the pics was sometimes too hard for my eyes (with glasses) to see.
Suggest you include some pics for threading the tanks straps. that 3rd step is a headscratcher the first time.

The question.
I have some Steel HP80s and with those as high up as they can go the valve is about level to the top of the wing (35). There is no way I can reach the valve. I understand that this is going to be easier UW, but it still seems undoable to me. Is this a problem with me having too much slack in the shoulders loop?
Is this only a problem because of gravity and will go away UW?
Here is a pic.
Any other comments welcome.
Thanks

Attachments

• DSS_lowtank2.jpg
    DSS_lowtank2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
That is one tiny tank. I look forward to Tobin's response, but I'm not sure there's much more you can do with such a small tank. I also bet that once in the water if you went slightly heads down you would probably be able to reach the valve.

The question.
I have some Steel HP80s and with those as high up as they can go the valve is about level to the top of the wing (35). There is no way I can reach the valve. I understand that this is going to be easier UW, but it still seems undoable to me. Is this a problem with me having too much slack in the shoulders loop?
Here is a pic.
Any other comments welcome.
Thanks

For starters, the tank straps are too lose, which is letting the tank drop. I can see them sagging in the photo.

It doesn't look like you're off by much, and once you're in the water, you should be able to grab the bottom of your tank and pull it up towards your head, where you should be able to reach it.

Also, as long as it doesn't throw your trim off, you do have some room to move the tank up (or the straps down :cool:)

Terry

That is one tiny tank.
That's what I like about it.. holds 80cf and removes 6 lbs from my belt.

For starters, the tank straps are too lose, which is letting the tank drop. I can see them sagging in the photo. ..
Also, as long as it doesn't throw your trim off, you do have some room to move the tank up (or the straps down :cool:)
Terry

Yep, I noticed that myself when I posted the pictures. They were sagging, but not slipping. Maybe got back an inch. There really isn't any room to move the tank up any more. The boot gets in the way.
Anyone remove the boots?

more. The boot gets in the way.
Anyone remove the boots?

I did, but then I put it back on when I got everything adjusted. :cool:

Taking off the boot will get you another couple of inches, but will probably make the tank too high and throw your trim off.

I'd recommend taking it to a pool, since almost anything you do on land will just be a time-waster.

Terry

Regarding the pictures, not sure about included instructions, but if you hit the FAQ page on the DSS website, you'll see a small link on the left for videos. The videos are VERY detailed on threading cam buckles, waist buckle, etc.... They were a godsend for my buddy flatliner when he got his rig last week, but he had overlooked the link as well and had to be "enlightened" by me sending him the link.

Here is the link to the instruction videos:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=video

Here is the one to the cambuckles themselves: https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/cambuckle.html

I'd recommend taking it to a pool, since almost anything you do on land will just be a time-waster.
Terry
Thanks ..
Heading to the pool on Saturday.
Regarding the pictures, not sure about included instructions, but if you hit the FAQ page on the DSS website, you'll see a small link on the left for videos. The videos are VERY detailed on threading cam buckles, waist buckle, etc.... They were a godsend for my buddy flatliner when he got his rig last week, but he had overlooked the link as well and had to be "enlightened" by me sending him the link.

Here is the link to the instruction videos:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=video

Here is the one to the cambuckles themselves: https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/cambuckle.html
Doh! OK.. so maybe a mention of those web links on the instructions would help.

Last edited:
Suggest you include some pics for threading the tanks straps. that 3rd step is a headscratcher the first time.

We have video on our website. https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/cambuckle.html

The question.

Personally I really don't like HP80's These short, negative tanks present a lot of problems.

If you can't reach the valve you can raise the plate by tightening the shoulder straps and you can remove the tank boot to gain another couple inches by raising the tank relative to the plate.

It will get easier in the water.

Tobin

All tanks have there positives and negatives. Maybe it is not the rig for you.

It looks like the tank is just pulling the harness around to your back, maybe a little lose. Hard to tell and with exposure protection on it will change a little also. I think you will find in the water it will lay closer to your back and reaching the valve will not be an issue.

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom