New England coastal fish ID book -and Goby/Blenny suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbo2006

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've got two questions.

I was diving in the Pisquatua River at Ft Constitution (UNH Pier) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and high point of the dive was seeing a small goby or blenny, maybe 1 inch long in about 20 feet of water. It was staying very close to a long bright green strand of flat 'sea lettuce' (my aquatic plant ID skills are unfortunately as limited as my fish ID abilities). Dive was during midday. Most distinctive features I'd noticed was this fishes mottled and very colorful markings which I recall to be mix of purple, orange and yellow (from tail area toward the head I believe). Colors were what caught my attention since it was quite striking with many coastal fish in the northeast not being very colorful.

Without a better description I wasn't sure what sort of ID suggestions I'd get BUT for the future I'd wondered what Fish Identification Guide(s) folks would recommend for New England coastal waters.

Thanks for any suggestions!

A friend gave us, "Marine Life of the North Atlantic" (Canada to New England) published by Aqua Quest Publications (Scuba Diving Books Aqua Quest Publications). It covers all sea life -- sponges, algae, coral, mollusks, etc. -- and has a limited number of fish but nothing as small as a blenny or goby. Since I don't dive the NE, I can't tell you how representative it is for what you may encounter but it may be one of several references you eventually own. You should be able to find a browsing copy at a dive shop up there to check out before you invest.

There is also Marine Life of the North Atlantic. My copy is not handy but that fish does not sound familiar.

Pete

I appreciate the book suggestions! Several of the books I'd seen on Amazon seemed aimed more directly at salt water fishing fans - hence larger fish species.

Only additional comment on my description of this little fish is I believe the mottled colors were more prominent along the back and other 'colors' likely included white on lower body and perhaps black or gray nearer the tail. At this point my recollections are getting fuzzier. At some point in the future (after my skills are better developed) I definitely want to get into underwater photography so I can more accurately and reliably record underwater 'images' vice trusting to my memory.

I have a similar situation now. Lots of fish photos, but no place to ID them. Did you ever find any helpful resources for New England coastal fishes & other creatures?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom