New England in a 3mm suit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In case anyone missed it in the NELD outing thread, I think it's worth noting that the water in the harbor islands has warmed up enough to let me do two dives in a 3mm suit on saturday. Yeah, I was a little chilly, but as I described it at the time, it was more of a "I should have worn a long sleeve shirt" chilly than a "Good lord, I think I'm going to die" kind of chilly. No problem at all doing a 64 minute wall dive at Graves Ledge. Max depth was 28 feet... it was a BEAUTIFUL dive.

In fairness though, I had on my usual hood and gloves.

It's the season for such treats. My wife and I were in Winnie yesterday. We played it conservative and dropped to 5mm and chill wasn't even in our vocabulary until past 40 feet. No doubt we would have enjoyed the dive in the 3mm suits.

I have been making a point of doing some conservative freshwater dives over the past weeks while the water is mild. It may not be as lush as the ocean but there is something to be said for being thermally unchallenged and going light on thermal protection and weight.

Pete

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Since I go through the rigamorale of climbing into a drysuit for 48 weeks of the year, it's great to have the month and a half at the end of summer to enjoy shallow boat dives with the kind of minimal setup I'd otherwise reserve for WWW habitat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom