New England Lobstah Diver get-together date

What dates are best for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver:
I have a 17' center console that I'm hoping to bring. Not sure where closest overnight parking is for my truck/trailer though. If I can go, find a parking spot and it's not a super long run to the island, I may be able to ferry gear/folks.

The closest place to launch is probably Winthrop public launch. You can park there overnight without a problem. There is no dock but launching a 17 footer there is no problem at all.
I'll be putting my 24 footer in at the Mystic River and motoring out. I'm going to be sleeping on my boat that night ( nice comfy accomodations on my boat,) but I'll stay at the campground till late to socialize.
Anyone know if there is a good spot there at the island to tie a boat up or anchor?

Who from Maine wants to go? I'll drive and I can probably take 4 others with gear. I'd say a limit of two tanks each. PM me.

Jeff

There's plenty of parking at Hull high school too, and there's a dock and ramp available across the street. I believe it's closer to the island than Winthrop.

What type of distance are we talking about here? A mile? 10 miles? Thanks.

I'm not sure where in Winthrop the public launch is, but on the online map I'm looking at, the westernmost point of Hull (where the high school and ramp are) is about one thumb width from Lovells Island... about the same distance from Lovells as Deer Island. Cottage Hill in Winthrop is about 2.5 thumb widths from Lovells.

There's a dock of some sort at Lovells, but I'm not sure you'll be able to tie up overnight. Anchorage in the shallows nearby looks possible, but I'm not really sure.

Just Google Earth'ed it. If we can meet at the HS I can easily shuttle gear/people out to Island. Less than a 2 mile run each way. I will anchor my boat overnight. May even sleep on it.
There's no issue with overnight parking at the HS?

MSilvia:
the westernmost point of Hull (where the high school and ramp are) is about one thumb width from Lovells Island

I know the "ramp" you're talking about. It's just a sandy/dirty spot(easily missed) next to the peir at Pemberton Point w/ a sign posted next to it claiming it's a public boat ramp. I've never seen anybody use it and I'm up there quite a bit in July and August. There are parking possibilities there including the high school and the commuter boat parking spots. I've parked in both areas, but just for the day. It is a pretty quick trip from the Gut to Lovell's, so if you can park there, it would probably be the best bet.

LobstaMan

I need a "real" boat ramp to launch. Not a sandy flat spot :) Not worried. We will figure something out.

I'm interested in going, but would be driving from Vermont. August works for me, but at this point, with the advanced warning, could probably pull off anytime after late June. Looking forward to meeting some fellow SBers and NELDers.
C-Dawg

The ramp at Pemberton Point may be tough with a larger boat. I have seen people having trouble getting back up with 20-25' boats loaded. The ground is just too soft (stone over sand). It is only about 1nm from Hull gut to Georges Island then only a stone's throw to Lovells. It's a high dock on the island, but they usually put in a smaller floating dock that you can use for unloading. They also use it for the ferry, so you can't stay tied up to it. I have seen boats anchored in the shallows on the west side of the island right off shore. There is plenty of parking near the ramp but I don't recall if it most of it is big enough for a trailer. I think the high school lot is okay though.

The closest "real" ramp is probably Hingham. It's only about 2 or 2.5 nm from Hull Gut. It's a paved ramp but I think it drops past the ramp into mud at low tide. It looks like trailer parking could be tough unless you get there fairly early. Overnight parking is cool.

Back
Top Bottom