New First Stage Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP originally asked about a new first stage. Not a rube goldbergesque solution.

Correct he did ask about just a first stage. But he may not have known about other possible solutions such the HP splitter. So no reason not to mention them. Further, no reason not mention the pros and cons of using a splitter. All of which helps the OP make an informed decision. Nobody has given wrong or uninformed information. Just different opinions on a preferred solution.

Last edited:
But for my main regs whether single tank, doubles, or Sidemount I use the D-1's with the rotating turret. '

You could get a HOG D-1, or D-3 with a rotating turret 1st by the end of this week if you needed it.

How many additional failure points are you really willing to add? What is a splitter going to do to your hose routing? I can say I would not allow this on a reg in any con ed class I was teaching.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Jim,

You are kind of contradicting yourself with these statements.

I have seen built in swivels in a first stage fail. I have actually never seen an after-market swivel fail, but I am sure they can.

If you are really serious about reducing failure points, what you really need is a double hose regulator :wink::
No swivels, reduce LP hoses, a lot less connections, both stages environmentally sealed (water doesn't touch any mechanical parts), a simpler more reliable regulator.

Heck, If you want to take it a step further, you could even go to a single stage regulator. You can't get any simpler and more reliable than a single stage. Cousteau went from a two stage regulator in the early years to a single stage later on due to its reliability.

"Failure points" is a term that is kind of over used (around here) without really taking into consideration or understanding probability of failure or MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure), etc.

"Failure points" is a term that is kind of over used (around here) without really taking into consideration or understanding probability of failure or MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure), etc.

I couldn't agree with you more on this. Another thing that is forgotten is the type of diving a person does. Certainly failure points become much more important when doing extreme technical dives rather than simple recreational dives.

How many additional failure points are you really willing to add? What is a splitter going to do to your hose routing? I can say I would not allow this on a reg in any con ed class I was teaching.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

dead on jim i would not allow it too .....sometimes people want to get complicated to just to be different i think

dead on jim i would not allow it too .....sometimes people want to get complicated to just to be different i think

Give me a break. An "industry professional" probably conned the OP into the advantages of a wireless air integrated computer, then in another breath told him that they really are not 100% reliable and it is best to use a backup SPG. However, the "industry professional" probably never inquired if his regulator has two HP ports.

If you want to blame someone then blame the dive industry for selling unreliable products (at a hefty profit). Blame unscrupulous instructors that sell such crap in order to make a few extra bucks commission. But don't blame the naive newbie diver that was just following what his instructor said.

I dive with a D6i on my wrist and a brass and glass SPG clipped off on my hip....I like having all the info I need right on my wrist, but also having a back up SPG if the wrist computer were to lose signal .(which has never happened)

I dont see the big deal , having the SPG in addition to the wrist mount is hardly inconvenient, and does not change my hose configuration one bit

I dont see the big deal , having the SPG in addition to the wrist mount is hardly inconvenient, and does not change my hose configuration one bit

The "big deal" was the OP's first stage did not have 2 high pressure ports only one. So either he needs to purchase a new second stage with two ports or use a port splitter which is what others were complaining about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom