New Halcyon doubles wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

please see discussion on this wing in the subform "technical diving" which is the parent forum of this one.

I was talking to someone about a week or two ago that said Tobin @ Deep Sea Supply was debuting his donut shaped doubles wing at DEMA this year. I wonder how they compare.

Christian

headhunter:
Thanks. It looks like everyone jumped on that bandwagon at the same time.

The world was flat and now it's round! :D

Christian

Christian,

Funny how that works sometimes. Yes we do have a full circle wing for doubles, I called the "Torus"

See it here:Torus Wing

Although I have not seen in person the Halcyon Evolve, (I'd hoped to at DEMA, but Halcyon did not attend) from the available photos there appears to be some similarities and differences.

Both the DSS Torus and the Halcyon Evolve are "Double Bladder" construction, i.e. sewn outer shell and welded inner bladder. The Oxycheq is apparently a single bladder welded shell design.

The DSS Torus has an absolute minimum air volume at the lower cross over. We found in testing that large volumes at the base of the tanks could put the diver in a heads down position that was hard to recover from. The Oxycheq wing also appears to have small volumes at the base of the tanks. The Evolve appears to have a generous volume at the base. I'm not sure how they handle the heads down attitude, it may be for "butt heavy" Rebreathers, just speculation on my part. Perhaps others closer to the project can comment.

One other difference is the position of the OPV. In developing the Torus we found that unless the OPV was located as "far south" as practical is was hard to full vent the wing using only the OPV. On the Evolve it appears the OPV is ~6-8 inches "north" of the bottom of the wing. Here again it may be intended for some other use.

A head to head test would be interesting.

Tobin

I'll get my hands on one of these this Saturday in High Springs, as Halcyon is hosting their "Halcyon Days" at Ginnie Springs. I don't have doubles to test them out, but a friend of mine intends to dive. He's a member here and hopefully he will give a report back on them.

I plan on diving the Evolve this weekend but I dont know anyone in Fl w/ the new DSS wing. I have access to the Oxycheq "razor" but heard from Patrick that they would have a signature series model available in Jan.

cool_hardware52:
One other difference is the position of the OPV. In developing the Torus we found that unless the OPV was located as "far south" as practical is was hard to full vent the wing using only the OPV.

Tobin

Does anyone have a pic of the other side of the Torus, showing the positioning of the OPV?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom