New Hog piston regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Carlisle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A couple of weeks ago I was asked to give these regs a try to see what I thought. The first stages are basically Mk25 look a likes. After 3 dives and a little over 6 hours on them I now own a pair of these. I have had them 2000ft in a cave and 106ft in depth and these are great breathing regs.
Cave adventurers has a special on these right now so call them for pricing. You wont believe the pricing on these. You can get their number off the website but will not see the special price. Go to Cave Adventurers | Located on Merritt's Mill Pond, Marianna, FL for the number.

I agree -- I have been using these regs for about a year. They've replaced my MK25/S600s and I'm every bit as happy with them.

What HP seat do they use?

Kevin,

Is that the BP1 or a newer model ? I use a BP1 as a right-pos on my rebreather, and so far it's worked great for me, and awesome build quality.

Whats the servicing like on these though ? We service our own diaphragm regs, but I've not yet attempted a piston, or even seen any kits.

If this is a true MK25/G250 clone, that is a VERY attractive price. If anyone has a rebuild kit and can post a photo of the seat, (actually the internals of the reg would be great) I'd be very curious to see that.

When Halcyon came out with their MK25/G250 clone, my first thought was, oh great, a knock-off that's even more expensive than the original. This HOG reg might be a very nice alternative to the MK25 and atomic. Doesn't HOG have a yoke fitting instead of that PITA adapter?

Kevin,

Is that the BP1 or a newer model ? I use a BP1 as a right-pos on my rebreather, and so far it's worked great for me, and awesome build quality.

Whats the servicing like on these though ? We service our own diaphragm regs, but I've not yet attempted a piston, or even seen any kits.
I wish I could answer that right now but im still.trying to figure that out. Edd has been super busy, just through them at me and said try these and now I.have them Lol. I will try and find out about your questions this weekend.

If this is a true MK25/G250 clone, that is a VERY attractive price. If anyone has a rebuild kit and can post a photo of the seat, (actually the internals of the reg would be great) I'd be very curious to see that.

When Halcyon came out with their MK25/G250 clone, my first thought was, oh great, a knock-off that's even more expensive than the original. This HOG reg might be a very nice alternative to the MK25 and atomic. Doesn't HOG have a yoke fitting instead of that PITA adapter?

I suspect that the "clone" idea is appearance only and that the HP seat is the more common "cave cone" or hockey puck style used in so many other balanced pistons. I believe the Mk20/25/10+ HP seat is still covered by a Scubapro patent and we will not be seeing other manufacturers using that design for a while yet.

......I'm waiting on the Awap seats stamped out of 1/2 inch Kel-F with a double cup design. :D

Edd has the BP1, which is a great little reg that I also use...but discontinued shortly into the life as we worked on a new Balanced Piston first stage that could be cold water kit fitted. The factory had a few left over and Edd and DRIS bought them and are offering the deal of a lifetime.... Service kits are in stock and will be no issues going forward.

It's more like a 10+ than a 25 and the new BP2 (DEMA) is available with a cold kit and has higher performance...but will cost more than the current price you'll get a BP1 for.

Cerich, is there a schematic that can be viewed by the public? When you say it's more like a MK10+ do you mean it has a rounded piston edge but no bushings around the HP o-ring?

Is there a yoke option for these regs?

Back
Top Bottom