• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

New HOG regulator, hard breathing

Discussion in 'Edge Gear' started by jacob7739, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If you have the inline tool from Scubatools you can reverse it. There's a hex on the other side. If it's another brand it may not be reversible. Also if it's a hex from another brand it will likely not work. The hex orifice on the Zenith requires the taper that the Scubatools one has. I've had to tell a couple of techs to send back their cheaper one and buy a proper tool.
    In order to properly diagnose what's going on, you need to check the Intermediate pressure of the first stage. Too low and the reg will breathe hard.
    Adjusting the micro-adjust knob like you have said you did will not work if the main orifice is set too tight.
    Without having the reg in front of me I can't say for sure what the fix is without knowing the IP and how the cracking was adjusted though.
    I'm a HOG reg tech and reg tech instructor who has trained several dozen techs in the 7 years I've been teaching the course.
    While the Deep Six is similar to the HOG. There are differences and they are important enough to make a difference to an inexperienced person. I know because I'm the author of the Deep Six manual.

Lorenzoid likes this.