New Ikelite DS-161 Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CountrysideGirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wondering if anyone was at the show and saw the new DS-161 demo'd? Looks like a great unit for stills as well the HD video mode on my camera. I wonder what the downside would be as opposed to the 160 or 125? Thanks!

I'd also be interested in seeing some sample footage / stills with the video lights on. With fisheye and rectilinear wide angles preferably...

BR,
//LN

Ikelite says "Our most versatile strobe ever is THE choice for digital cameras with movie modes.." That should be enough for us right!!! ;-)

What camera are you using that you would like to hook this to? The strobe is very nice!! Its similar output to the DS 160 for stills. For video, its a 500 watt light, which is the lowest of power when compared to the video lghts on the market.

Hi Mike!

I shoot with a Nikon D90. I'd like to see some video shot with these strobes. I have no doubt that the "still" output is fine I have an Ikelite DS-125 and love it!

Have you shot with th 161's yet? Video? I am at place where I'd like to upgrade. I don't have any illusion that the video shot with the D90 is going to be professional level- just something fun for me to play with/have fun with. So, that being said- I need a second strobe.

Plan#1 I can add a 161 as my primary, and keep the 125 as the second strobe. Most cost effective solution.

Plan #2 Sell the 125 and upgrade to two 161's. But, no sense having two 161's if they won't do the job for some fairly well lit amateur video. In that case, plan one would be better.

Your thoughts?

That is the same setup I shoot with. I have not had a chance to dive lately, but I will upgrade my 160 and 125 to the 161. Please let me know if I can help with your upgrades. ScubaBasics is 15 minutes from Ikelite and can ship anything in stock at Ikelite the same day!

I have not used a DS-161, and applaud Ikelite's innovation, but I would not use a 500 lumen 45 degree beam angle light with a hybrid DSLR.

When shooting macro video with 5dMkII, and 2x FIX LED1000 (1000 lumen, 85 deg beam) right on top of the subject, I have to ramp ISO way up to 1200 for decent exposure.

IMG_0131.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2cZlqBh5EM

For wide angle video with 16-35 /2.8 L II I use 2x Subtronic Video 16:9 Lights, which are 3700 lumen each.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom