New life for an old MK3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got two sets of SP regs: a 109/MK1 and a 108/MK3. They both are in decent shape, but the 108 is a little rough and I think a lot of the chrome will be coming off when I clean it up. There is some pretty bad pitting going on. Is the brass going to be eaten by saltwater or will it be okay if I thoroughly rinse it after every dive?

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

I don't know yet.
I haven't had a chance to get it wet.
I think it should be fine. I don't think it's going to pit.
Once the brass is opened up and can breathe I think a good rinsing and a little Brasso every few times should work fine.

I just got two sets of SP regs: a 109/MK1 and a 108/MK3. They both are in decent shape, but the 108 is a little rough and I think a lot of the chrome will be coming off when I clean it up. There is some pretty bad pitting going on. Is the brass going to be eaten by saltwater or will it be okay if I thoroughly rinse it after every dive?

You may need to do a little smoothing on that exhaust valve sealing surface but it looks OK. You may have a hard time finding an exhaust-t that will work. I don't believe the newer ones will fit that. You might just have to build something yourself to fit that and protect the valve.

The rubber exhaust valve turned to dust the second I touched it. It also doesn't look like there is an efficient way to get a new rubber piece in there. Any ideas?

TA,

The exhaust valve is inserted from the outside of the case and the little stem is pulled from the inside. Sometimes it's possible to lube (with saliva) the stem, and just push it through the hole; but I don't recommend doing that unless you’re in the field as you can distort the spider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom