New Mares SLS BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're in London, there's dive shops that cover Aqualung (e.g. mikes). Look at the Aqualung Outlaw and Rogue. They have a fan club going here on Scubaboard.

The OP did not specify that he didn't want a steel plate. I wouldn't buy any MARES BC. Too many reports of issues with them and their integrated weights. I just looked and the thing also has 40lbs of lift. For single tanks that's nuts and unnecessary. The d-ring placement is a joke, the inflator is a Mares design instead of a basic standard inflator and size large weighs nearly 9 lbs. My al plate and 23 lb wing is less than 7. I also would not buy a BC that wasn't completely modular. Especially for traveling. The ability to replace only parts of the system would be my primary concern. I have traveled with a SS Plate a number of places. Never needed to take my al plate.

The OP specified he wanted integrated weights, I used to answer to the question and eventually suggest something different, without ignoring the original question. The Mares Pure SLS supports the double tank configuration also.
The D-ring placement on the Pure SLS is great in my opinion, I use almost the same placement on my Ghost.
What you don't like, isn't necessary what the rest of the world doesn't like, also the preference is determined by the experience: less experienced divers doesn't like to change their configuration, they want to get confident with their gear and when they are experienced enough they may pass to a more customizing gear that could be re-arranged to fit precise situations. Your alu wing doesn't have integrated weights.. for comparison my ghost (without integrated weight) is around 6 (something that weight less with a metallic back plate simply doesn't exists).

Last edited:
Leisure pro has the Pure SLS for $240. What you have to do is order the Hybrid Pure though then they'll upgrade it for free to the Pure SLS since the Hybrid Pure is discontinued. No clue why they haven't taken the Hybrid Pure off their website yet but I just did this a week ago for my wife and myself. There are other reports online of the same thing happening for others.

I'm thinking of taking the pure sls as my first BCD. Here in Brazil any BP&W os very expensive.

I have a Mares Pure SLS - bought it from Leisurepro. (Hint: I bought it by buying the Hybrid Pure which is still listed for sale, and they got back to me saying it was discontinued and I could get a Pure SLS for the same price. Paid $230 for a $400 BCD)

Its a really nice BCD. Lightweight, the integrated weights are nice, has trim weight pockets as well. I was able to put this BCD, reg, wetsuit, and all the accessories into my carry-on to Cozumel and it weighed around 30lbs. It has D rings in all the right places and even a roll up pocket under the right weight pouch.

I have a Mares Pure SLS - bought it from Leisurepro. (Hint: I bought it by buying the Hybrid Pure which is still listed for sale, and they got back to me saying it was discontinued and I could get a Pure SLS for the same price. Paid $230 for a $400 BCD)

Its a really nice BCD. Lightweight, the integrated weights are nice, has trim weight pockets as well. I was able to put this BCD, reg, wetsuit, and all the accessories into my carry-on to Cozumel and it weighed around 30lbs. It has D rings in all the right places and even a roll up pocket under the right weight pouch.

Wondering if you’d mind sharing your experience to date with the BC? The trim pouches seem to be oddly placed and a bit low, at least as far as I can tell. T/M.

The trim pockets are placed slightly higher than the belt (vertically), for what I can tell, they are fine (but it depends of where you place your tank). Curiously I'm having a better attitude with the Mares than with the XDeep (where i placed the trim pockets higher than that, at the middle of the tank).

The trim pockets are placed slightly higher than the belt (vertically), for what I can tell, they are fine (but it depends of where you place your tank). Curiously I'm having a better attitude with the Mares than with the XDeep (where i placed the trim pockets higher than that, at the middle of the tank).

Phenomenal info; thanks for the info. As to the trim pockets, is there an option to rig them on your kit an customize their location? It looks like there could be room or spaces for this. Also, how does the bladder sit on you position-wise; would you say higher, lower, or middle of the back? Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom