New Night Diving Light Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTB_girl85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'd like to get a new dive light for an upcoming vacation to Cozumel. I had an Intova light but it had a little push button to turn it on and off and the button got stuck after about 2 years so I want something that won't have the same issue. It will be my primary dive light and I want it to be light weight and bright enough but not overboard.

Any suggestions? Thanks :confused:

i would look at the sola dive light range i have the 800 ,1200 and the nightsea i adore them small amazing performance great output
they have the sos mode ,flood beams and mainbeam not the cheapest but with the external charge system you do not even have any O rings to worry about for leaks quick recharge and long run times

Got a Sola as well. Excellent lights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I like the Dorcy's. They're my primary light for night dives (220lumens) They twist on so there's no switch to deal with. They're all aluminum, solid lights and brighter than you'd expect for $42. It uses a Cree Q4 LED but it's almost too bright at night. I have seen fish run and hide if I'm close. Once in Turks/Caicos I was lighting up the bottom (65') from my safety stop - several of the other divers saw it, asked about the light, and planned to get one.

Fairly narrowly focused beam also. A weeks worth of night dives (5) and I didn't notice any change in output on the same set of alkaline batteries. It takes 6AAA batteries.

I actually bought a 2nd one as a backup since it fits in a BC pocket.

Dorcy sells them direct, also Piranha Dive Mfg. sells it as the Penetrater. Same light, I bought mine from Piranha but they say Dorcy on the grip.

Capture.JPG

Penetrater 220
Dorcy Dive II 220 Lumen Submersible LED Dive Light

Right now Dorcy has 25% off on everything on their website.

Hi,Dear friend,This is Janey,Sals manager from Ano.We are a professional diving light manufacturer.Our lights has button switch,magnetic switch,turning switch.The lumens range from 200 to 2400.If you have any interested,Just feel free to contact me.My skype is Janey.pang.Have a good day.

I used my UK SL4 eLED light last time I was in Cozumel. In the clear water it is all you need.

You really don't need too much light for night dive in clear water. I would go with DORCY or UK eLED. I used DRIS 1000 in Hawaii, it produced so much light and blinded me.

Personally, I think Sola lights are great video light. For general purpose primary light, I think it is a lousy choice especially for how much they cost.

I have a canister light for my primary, but these generally do not fit your requirements for light weight :)

However, I also have a Sola 1200 that I use for a video light, and have used it in the past as a primary dive light. They are very bright lights and provide more than enough illumination for a night dive, but in particular I like how easy it is to switch from wide angle to narrow beam, and to switch intensity to save battery power). I find that when using it, I most often use it in the narrow beam mode making signalling and passive communication much more effective, and then when I find something interesting to look at, a flick of the switch and I have a wide angle beam.

Back
Top Bottom