New Nikon D5000 & New 10-24 Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePhotoGuide

Contributor
Reaction score
Some pretty big news from Nikon today guys...

We've reported the rumors for weeks, Nikon has formally announced the new D5000 DSLR, as somewhat of a replacement of the D60 entry level DSLR. It is 12.3 MP, has a vari-angle LCD screen, HD video with audio, one-button live view, 4 frames per second burst rate, 11 point auto focus with 3D focus tracking, and a price point well below $1,000. Will be seeing housings for these soon? Something tells me that we will.

Click the image for the full info:

Another one that we've been reporting rumors about for weeks. Nikon announced today the release of a new DX lens - the AF-S DX-NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED. This is a bit wider than the 12-24, which many Nikon toting underwater photographers use behind their dome ports. The 12-24 is an f/4 lens, and the new 10-24 is an f/3.5-4.5. The 14-24 of course is an f/2.8 lens, but doesn;t fit behind all dome ports (but that's not the point of today's post). The 12-24 has been a decent lens for underwater photographers, but in the grand scheme of things is not the highest quality lens. The 10-24 stands to one up it.

Click the image for the full info:

That 10-24mm WA lens sounds interesting. Like a good Nikkor version of Canon's EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. It'll be interesting to read the reviews of the 10-24mm lens once it starts shipping.

I didn't see a minimum focus. Will it focus down to the lens like the 10-17 Tokina?

And the MTFs are comparable to the !4-24/2.8.
I think we are talking about a SERIOUS lens.
That's probably why it costs almost a grand!!!

According to Ars, like the D60 the new D5000 lacks an in-body autofocus motor and the pivoting 2.7" display is only 230,000 (vs. the VGA display on most other new dSLRs). Oh well, its really about the viewfinder anyway.

Nikon is also making a big deal about the "seven blade rounded diaphragm for natural blur effects" on the new 10-24mm lens which is nice; OTOH that isn't exactly the focal length I'd normally think about to get a shot with a nice bokeh. It'll be interesting to try this lens out in person once it starts shipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom